Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Smokin!

I am hopping, smokin mad!  I pulled up to one of my spots this morning around 5:30 am,, on Ferndale and Webster, and as I was placing food in the awesome shelter that was built for me by Darrin and Kristin, both school teachers with creative minds, who built the shelter out of a coffee table and added boards and such to create the most secure, warm shelter that could house well over five cats, if they all got along!  Anyways, as I am placing this down in this vacant city lot that is fenced in on three sides, the open side is the road, I noticed a dog in the corner of this lot I was in.  It was a small white unkempt looking dog, pictured here:
As I got closer, it began to bark, and to growl, so I kept my distance.  I remembered the house on the other side of the fence on Ferndale had a dog that I would occasionally hear barking at early hours, and remember it was a small dog like this so I decided it had just wandered from the neighboring property and didn't know how to get back.  I thought for sure the owner would call for it or come get it so I took this picture and went off to do the rest of my feedings.  As I drove past the house, a woman across the street was shoveling her driveway.  I got out and asked who's dog it might be, she pointed to the house across the street.  I then asked if she saw any neglect or anything like that and she replied "I mind my own business" and I calmly replied, "you can't turn a blind eye to neglect, we are these animals voices, and they need our help."  She shook her head as she continued to brush off her car, and muttered about me feeding the cats at the corner house since day one or something like that...  I wished her a good day and drove off.  I decided to come by on my way home  from the feedings to check to see if the dog was still there, and sure enough it was.  The house that I thought it belonged to was dark still so I stopped and got out and brought over a large towel, placed that on the ground along with a plate of cat food and a dish of water.  I wanted to provide some comfort for the poor thing, freezing like that.  I then decided I would give it ONE more chance to go back home, and was going to drive by on my way to work.  I did, and it was STILL there.  This time, I pulled up in the driveway of the house I thought it belonged to, got out, walked up the steps to the porch and was going to knock and saw a sign in the window that said something like 'this building should not be occupied', and immediately thought these people had moved out and left their dog!

I dialed 911 and as I was explaining the situation and the sign on the house, the door opens!  Its a middle aged black woman who said she just let it out and it wandered over there.  I said, 'that dog has been out since AT LEAST 5 am.", I told her I know this because I feed the cats in the area and the dog had been out at that time and she said "you need to stop feeding those cats cause I am allergic to them" and I said well you obviously aren't letting them in your house and I will not stop feeding them and that I have permission to do so and that she needed to take care of her dog!" to which she closed the door on me.    I am sick and tired of animal neglect!!!  I may have to take a drive over there to see if the dog is in the corner of that lot still.  If so, I won't hesitate to contact animal control.  What is wrong with everyone, has this world gone mad???

The following are various pictures I took this morning at a few of my stops.  I saw another baby kitten on Baldwin this morning.  It waits from a distance for me to place a dry towel, and fresh food and water down and as soon as I get in the car, it runs for it.  I am hoping the other kitten left, and mama are still around, and safe.
Garson Kitties



Garson Kitty

Sparkles is the pregnant mama that I had spayed over a year ago on Pennsylvania.  She has really turned into a sweetheart with me, and comes running each and every morning, rolling over onto her back.  She used to swat at me and not let me pet her, but she is much better now - a sweet sweet girl that I would love to find a home for.  
SPARKLES!


SPARKLES!


4 comments:

  1. Sparkles is gorgeeous !!! Janine I wonder if that woman is the person, or one of the person, that removes your stuff from that spot ? Allergy, what a load of crap, from that distance, nah, I dont think so ! let me know if you need support on this situation today. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine, can't you contact Matt from PAWS so that he can check on this dog and the one you saw on the short lead the other day? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome! I hope somebody helps that dog! :(

    ReplyDelete