Monday, August 6, 2018

Guns and Roses!

Crazy morning out there.  I finished up my rounds on the Back Nine after hearing gunshots.  I thought to myself, that sounded like gunshots. I was at Syd and Johnny's feeding momma there, and it sounded like it came from 7th or 6th Street, behind me.  But all was too quiet after that.  And then BLAM!  I saw all sorts of police cruisers darting in and out of those two streets.  I had just left 7th Street and before that Short Street.  I decided to check it out after I had finished up, ready to go check the last two traps, and saw police with flashlights on 7th. Being nosy, I drove past them, and decided to let them know I had heard gunshots.  The cocky young deputy (he didn't like my joke when he asked me for my birthdate - ''well I'm not going to check to see if you have any warrants outstanding" - oh, OK Officer!  Gee, thanks!  Next time I will keep driving.  But lo and behold there were about 10 cruisers on Short Street.  It looked like Jimmy, the old man that sits in his truck in the vacant lot there every day, had moved his truck after I had left there, and the cops had someone standing next to the car, a young black man.  I kept driving.

Trapping:  So I had five spots for TNR today.  I only got three.  But three less baby makers.  Here is a pic of Baldy, the pretty boy on Baldwin.  I’ll bet the girls on his street really loved this one…  J





I trapped another raccoon, who took off after I let him out.  Git!  Another was an already eartipped fella.  They love that mackerel!

Here are the other girls...  two in one trap!



I also have traps that are not working.  I am trying to get the tortie mom of the four kittens that I just took in.  But the darn trap thingy won’t stay put.  Anyone know how to fix traps?  Also, I have only one working kitten trap out of four! 


Speaking of the kittens…  So the wonderful couple on Melville, the ones that reached out to me a few weeks back – trapped the four kittens.  Boy are they good at it!  Apparently, these kittens were constantly in their back yard playing, and eating!  So on Friday, we brought over a few of the kitten traps, and they put them to good use.  Well, one of them.  The kittens were so small they didn’t trip the plate inside, so he had to sort of scare them into going in and tripping the plate that way.  We would guestimate them to be around 6-7 weeks, and pretty feral, but they are coming around!  After one night at Mama Janine’s house, and lots of heavy petting going on, there is less hissing.  The tortie might have to be seen by a vet as she has a smell coming from her tiny mouth and discolored saliva.  Other than that, their very fat little bellies will go down since I treated them all with a dewormer.  I can’t wait to get pictures from their foster moms!  Melissa and Sue, thank you!  Here are a couple.




There is so much more, but so little time.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Crying out loud Janine! You're supposed to run AWAY from the gunshot noise, not toward it! Please be careful out there.
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete