Thursday, June 21, 2018

Spay the Stray!

I started this post yesterday - I just reread it and I am all over the place, but I had to put my thoughts down as they came to me.

As a follow-up to the post two weeks ago where I mentioned that I received several posts on shelters on city VACANT lots that they had to be removed.  I spoke to Inspector Nieves, who heard my story, received the information I sent to him about meetings with the Mayor's office in 2016, and said he had to speak to his supervisor, and would get back to me.  TWO WEEKS LATER, I got a call - yesterday - from an assistant supervisor at Verona Street - animal services.  (why are they calling me) She told me I would have to remove my shelters because they want to sell the city properties.  She asked me many questions, including the question - Can you give me the addresses of your shelters - she asked me that at least six times and each time I told her I would not give her my addresses.  She asked me how many TNR's I've done, how many cats I've rescued.  She asked me how many cats were at each location.  She asked if I have reached out to neighbors.  I told her yes, I've spoken to many over the years.  Passed out fliers explaining what TNR is.  She asked me if I would be willing to maintain these lots.  I said I already do minus the mowing, and she asked if I would mow, and I said if I can borrow your big city mowers!  I said if I had to hire people

First of all, these are vacant lots that I have cared for and cleaned for many years now.  The trash I've removed is unbelievable.  Second, these are homes to at least five cats per shelter, on average.  Most cats that depend on these shelters, that have huts inside to keep them warm and safe, and space to place food so it is not exposed to the elements.  These cats are spayed and neutered, and living their short lives as best as they can.  They have no where to go.  And when the occasional cat shows up not spayed and neutered, I am trying to trap them as best as I can and get them sterilized, and given shots.  I can't rescue them all.  Most are feral or semi feral.  I remove and re-home many of those that are strays.

Secondly, the city should be HELPING me, not trying to hinder my efforts.  Its about time they start to address the problem, and not hurt the individuals trying to FIX the problem, the little they can do as a citizen that cares.



In order to spay and neuter (TNR) cats, you must have a feeding spot where they trust to go to.  TNR is the only effective and humane approach to address community cat populations. It involves humanely trapping, spaying or neutering, vaccinating, and returning community cats to their outdoor homes. Afterward, there are no more litters of kittens—the population is stabilized. TNR stops the stress associated with pregnancy and mating behaviors, such as yowling or fighting. Not only is TNR the effective, humane approach for outdoor cats, but it improves their lives.

This is a great link to what this city needs to be doing.

https://www.bettercitiesforpets.com/2018/02/26/trap-neuter-return-helps-community-cats/  "You’ll also need to be sure there are people in your community who are caring for the cats, providing food and maintaining shelter areas for them. Most communities have many kind-hearted residents already caring for cats."

I am a community cat caregiver.  Community cat caregivers are good Samaritans - volunteers who provide a public service that deserve appreciation from local officials, animal control agencies, animal shelters and the public.  Its totally unfair to impose fines, fees, or remove these shelters for no good reason.

Last but not least, the BIGGEST reason to keep these shelters --- this rescue just this morning:


These are just babies out there.  They NEED shelter!!!

Have a good day!  Please, SPREAD the WORD about this atrocity!





1 comment:

  1. Obviously even animal control doesn't understand the concept of community cats, TNR or even being compassionate. It's mind-boggling. I will fight this fight with you however we need to.

    ReplyDelete