Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Helping Hands



First off, if you all recall the kittens born in the woods behind my mother's house days after Easter Sunday.  I had to split them up because I could not bottle feed all five right then and there, and a rescue in Buffalo that had just taken in a pregnant cat I rescued from Central Park had given birth to a still born, and only one other kitten.  She had room to nurse a few more.  So I kept three - Bear, Mookie and Dixie.  Candice, from the Buffalo rescue, took the other two.  They latched on to Mama 'Amy' quickly, and get a look at these babies now! 

ADELINE & YVES

Second, I took a chance this morning to trap a cat or two because I am not being offered spots at the clinic these days.  They do have cancellations, and sometimes they have spots to fill as the people TNR'g elsewhere fail to get one or two.  So I set one on Garson, where there is an injured cat that I have not seen, but the homeowner next door did on Friday, and where there are older kittens running around.  I set two traps there actually.  Circled back and caught an already ear tipped kitty.  Let him go.  Took the trap to set on Second Street where the tuxedo with the injured paw resides.  No luck, but did catch this guy.  He was not a happy camper.  Fingers crossed there is room at the clinic for his neuter, and eventual release after he spends the night on my porch.


I circled back to Garson and no luck.  I won't give up. 

I've received a lot of calls lately to help out with kittens and mama cats.  I am overwhelmed.  I have so much going on right now with my own life. 

I am fostering a cat named Jules that I rescued and my other cats are beating up on him.  I am having behavioral issues from all of them – not only the kittens I still have (waiting for their spay/neuter), but Jules.  And then again, some of them are just pissers.  It’s a constant battle with washing, sniffing around, cleaning up – its very stressful.  I don’t want my things ruined.  I work hard for what I have.   I work full time.  I go out each morning – every single day - for nearly two hours to feed over 100 cats.  I barely have the time to trap.  So I cherish my weekends.  They wind up having a lot to do with cats, but I try to carve out time for cleaning, cooking, gardening, seeing family or friends, or just reading a book.  I get calls for help, but I don’t think these innocent people realize that I am a one man band.  I can only do so much.  I have three other cats in foster right now that no one is applying for.

What I am trying to say is that I posted something yesterday, something that I would have normally just tried to push out of my mind (and would keep me from a good night sleep), after telling the person I couldn’t help – of course that would be AFTER I offered my advice, or lending traps so that THEY could help the situation, and I posted to Facebook about a girl that had kittens and she couldn’t provide food or litter for them, and that her boyfriend might put them out on the street.  First off, any girl/woman that allows a man to control her decisions – he should be kicked out.  And if he can’t be kicked out, you should think about changing your life.  This subject is a whole other chapter.


But meanwhile, I posted this hoping for someone to offer help that was closer to this girl and the kittens, on the other side of the city.  Not only did one girl, but several offered to help.  We have such a great community when it comes to helping out those less fortunate.  I would never have been able to find help if it weren’t for social media – Facebook for me.  So thank you to Cheryl who drove there with litter and food, to Kristin who offered to pick them up and drop them off at Lollipop today, and finally Sue, who drove to Dewey Avenue in the heart of the city from Churchville last evening, to pick them up.  It blows my mind the kindness and compassion encircling my life.  There were others, Victor, Elisabeth, and to Christa for alerting us to the services where she works at RAS (Rochester Animal Services) for people in need for their pets.  Here are pictures of the kittens that were in need.  Now, we need to help the girl that apparently still has female cats in heat, and male cats not neutered, in her apartment - separated.  I don’t even know where to begin on that one. 

Here are pictures of the kittens rescued from Dewey Avenue.

Do you mind?  A little privacy please???

oh, pardon me!



Have a good day.


"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another."


1 comment:

  1. The Dewey kittens are cutie pies! You are amazing Janine. We should call you the energizer kitty rescuer (you keep going and going...)

    ReplyDelete