Thursday, June 14, 2018

Education is Key - Cat Body Language

So the other day, I received a note from someone asking for help with kittens.  They were in a home where apparently there was no food or litter for them.  And the boyfriend didn’t want the kittens there.  I said I would do what I could do, and put a plea out for help.  I received all sorts of responses, some with concern, and others willing to jump on it.  Thank you to all.  So a girl named Cheryl was in the area of the city  and offered to bring both to the woman needing help.  We also wanted to get the cats but didn’t know what to do with them. I am always overwhelmed because I don’t have a lot of fosters, and I still have a kitten I am trying to adopt out, and four adults I need to find homes for.  And a mind always full of sadness and guilt if I don’t help everyone.   Another girl, who is a foster for me, offered to also go over and get the kittens.  She did, and I was hoping another foster would take them but that didn’t work out.  So, I now have four new kittens.  They are older kittens, but kittens nevertheless.  Here are two, boy and girl, of the four.  Aren’t they adorable!  

Jamie

Julie
To elaborate on this situation, so apparently this girl has female cats, unspayed, and male cats, unneutered, in separate rooms.  I offered to her that I would help her.  I told her I would get an appt. at the clinic for them, one by one.  I told her they would be eartipped (who knows if these cats will be let out on the streets!) and here was her response to that:

"Yeah that tip thing, no I don't want my cat's ear tip cut off they're not outdoors ever I know that that's used in feral/stray cat populations to show that that cat has already been fixed I'm sorry but that's a deal breaker for me"

And here was my response to that:  (After rereading this, I feel its a bit harsh, but its the truth.  How can you turn down help???)

"Well that's very sad for the cats that you are harboring in your apartment that you made the decision to turn down the help I offered and the help they need to stop the reproductive cycle that plagues our city just because you didn't want their ear clipped.  Its actually very irresponsible on your part.  I hope you change your mind.   This is why we have so many cats being put to sleep in overcrowded shelters.  Good luck."

I trapped a cat this morning, still hoping to get a mother cat or kittens on Garson, and the injured paw tuxie on Second street.  Instead, I got this scared baby on Second.  On Garson, I trapped the same one as Tuesday that was already fixed with a collar, and a raccoon in the other trap!  I won't stop trying!  Monday, I have four spots waiting at the clinic!  :)

TNR Kitty - Central and Second

Cat Body Language

One of the primary ways cats communicate is through body language. For example, the position of a cat’s tail can indicate whether she’s interested or fearful of you. Learn what a cat is telling you by using our visual guide to cat body language.


1 comment:

  1. What does it mean when the cat sticks its butt in my face ?
    :P

    ReplyDelete