Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Spay Spay Spay! Neuter Neuter Neuter!~

Wubby, the kitten I rescued Saturday morning from Webster/Ferndale, is going to be spayed today at County Line.  I am bringing her there because I have no intention on returning this little 7-8 mo. old kitten back to the streets.  She is super sweet. and I just know we will find her a good home.  As with any young kitty, I hesitate on getting their ear tipped, therefore, I bring them to County Line, which is considerably more expensive than the TNR clinic I use, but that's what you pay for, no ear tipping!  She was a hungry little girl this morning.

Wubby (waiting to go to the doctor)!
It was a crazy morning today.  First off, I got a call last night from a friend who asked me if I could take a trapped cat to County Line for them for drop off, along with my scheduled Wubby.  The cat was trapped and brought over to my porch last night for safekeeping until transport this morning.  The poor little thing didn't move an inch, it looks like, all night.  Didn't touch the food or water that was left in the trap by the girl that brought it over either.  In the meantime, due to the fact that of the two cats - Nellie and Nilsson - that Diane trapped over the weekend for me on Niagara, one of them having delivered babies the very next day, I had to get one more to meet my quota for the clinic this morning (because obviously Nellie couldn't be spayed because she is nursing her FIVE newborn kittens!).  I set the trap on Parsells hoping to get one of the two newbies I've seen there, and drove off to do a couple of spots up ahead and then come back and check.  Well, I did, and nothing. Drove off, did three more spots, drove back, nothing.  Drove off to do the last on that side of town - I call it the front nine - and then drove back a final time, and nothing.  Picked up the trap, drove all the way to my very last spot of the day on Niagara (the back nine), and set it down.  Drove off to do the same thing =- go feed, drive back, go feed at another spot, drive back to see if any takers.  Nothing. Finally, got out, added some more smelly tuna, drove off, did a few more spots, came back and voila!  I introduce you to Nicky.  He or she will be my second kitty to be spayed/neutered at the clinic today.  We are curious as to the sex of both Nilsson and Nicky.  Neither Diane nor I can tell.

NICKY from Niagara



As you can see, its very hard for me to trap AND feed - I am doing extra 15-20 minutes of driving back and forth.  Its draining, not only to me, but also to the vehicle, which is already half broken.  I need a new muffler, for sure,and God knows what else.  I pray that Diane will be able to continue to help me even though she has her hands full with tons of newborn kittens and feral moms to care for.

So two kitties need to go to County Line this morning, and then two kitties need to be picked up and transported to the clinic on Bay, all within an hour.  Super hectic morning for me.  I think I need a break from this for just a week, even though I have two spots scheduled for myself at the clinic until the end of June.  I've trapped between 204 cats each week for the past two months so far.  I've already missed two to three pregnant cats that have obviously delivered outdoors - that's heartbreaking in itself.

GEMMA
The other heartbreak being Gemma. Word has it that her adoptive person is now looking to adopt another cat, to replace Gemma 'for the meantime' as a companion to the cat she adopted soon after she adopted Gemma from me.  I am quite upset by this.  I have a ton of mixed feelings on this.  I couldn't even consider getting another cat while one is still missing after two weeks.  I just COULDN'T!  And Gemma is MY little girl.  I am very upset.

Have a nice day.

"You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings."

5 comments:

  1. Did this woman post signs? Or talk to her neighbors? Does she check Verona Street, Lollypop, etc often? I, too, would be a bit concerned that she is already thinking of getting a new cat. When my 'guy' fell off my balcony & tore off into hundreds of acres of woods, I was out day & night, put out a wildlife camera, his blankie, tshirts that smelled like me & home, and I'd like to think I did everything to find him. Eight days later, he found me again. :) If Gemma was my cat, I wouldn't give up on her this soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you got these ones Team Janine ! Xoxo, Hhhmm, not happy myself about the Gemma situation.......I'm afraid I would be having. "A talk" with this person, now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby kittens are in good hands with Diane, Im sure she knows what can happen if mother cat thinks predator is after her babies, not going to be graphic but what I saw was with older kittens mother was not nasty to kittens, just felt threatened by the humans. This is what they say about baby deer ect., " if you care, leave it there

    ReplyDelete
  4. just was sharing my experience and the advice that I was given too many years ago by people with even more experience than myself. To get the kittens away from a feral mother as early as possible, as soon as they are eating solid food, at 4 25 weeks old Macs! After that. They will start becoming Ferrell and picking up the mother's attitude.handling them before that time, while still with the mother, would just be a plus. I guess that would be an individual judgement call, but I've never had a problem with a mother eating her babies that's for sure. sounds like sensationalism to me. if you want to have came adoptable kittens, with no fear of humans, do not follow the alleycat allies advice of leaving the kids with the mother for 8 weeks, regardless of whether they are in custody or still outside, get them when young at 4 to 5 weeksor you will be sorry!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel sick about Gemma still missing and I know you do too. Try not to blame yourself, you do the best you can!

    Good job getting Nicky! Snip snip! :)

    ReplyDelete