Thursday, May 14, 2015

TNR Thursday!

TNR Tuesday - I believe Laura let the now-not-pregnant Twin back to her 'home' on Parsells yesterday, after holding her for a night, and I believe Diane let Niles back to his 'home' on Niagara yesterday also.  This morning, I got these two rascals on Parsells - Pixie and Poppa.  I am very unsure about Pixie. She looks like the kitty I saw very pregnant a week or so ago, but the cat in the trap doesn't look pregnant.  Could she have had her babies?  We will find out today when they both go to the clinic. Poppa is none too happy.  Both semi-feral I believe.  And of course I am guessing on the sex of both too.  We will know for sure by today.

Pixie

Poppa
On Niagara, there is a black kitty that looks quite pregnant also.  She actually got pretty close to me this morning.  Bowls were empty, so I am sure she was very hungry.  I must focus on her for the next clinic.  

On Ferndale and Webster, I am slowly gaining the trust now of the little tiny red kitty there, thanks to the SIX to SEVEN month old KITTEN that has been running up to me, starving each morning.  This is a beautiful little grey tabby, and they are BOTH on my hit list for RESCUE.  SWEET.  Just a little skittish as they've been living on the street. But they are both starting to let me pet them now.  But I keep promising George #2 on Parsells that he is next!  I must find homes for these three!  I will try to get pictures of all three tomorrow.  This little baby though must get off the street.  Maybe I will grab him tomorrow.  Just a tyke!


Barney
My rescue of the week, Barney, was brought to his new home yesterday.  I felt like a mother hen when I delivered him. This girl, she is so sweet, and has the sweetest little boy, was so kind, and gentle with him.  We made his little nest on her enclosed porch, where he immediately took to the smell of the other cat on the scratching post.  I over explained how fragile he was, how he had no experience being in a house indoors, or being loved, and shown kindness.  I was so leary to leave him, but I did.  I receive the report this morning:  "He went from sleeping on the floor to sleeping on the couch to sleeping on top of the couch so he can look in the window at everything. He looks content. He let Michael play with his tail which I was surprised at. And he used his litterbox!"

Oh happy days!

As I left Second Street this morning, I couldn't help to give myself a small, silent pat on the back.  I remembered that two years ago, this street was crawling with cats.  But thanks to MANY rescues I made. and the help of people like Laura (when I first met her), and a few girls from Another Chance Pet Rescue, and a grant that Lollipop allowed me to partake in, we dd a big sweep of TNRs over the course of a week or so, and now there are barely any cats in sight anymore.  I then got to thinking that if there were a ME on every street in Rochester, who provided shelter, and food, and spayed and neutered, we would not have the problem we have today.  Why isn't this possible?  It seems so easy to have a ME on every street.  

Its getting lighter and lighter out now.  At 5 am. I can see the light in the east.  The moon was a beautiful sliver in the clear dark blue sky above.  The birds begin to chirp at that time.  All is quiet otherwise.  Its a wonderful time of the day for those that can appreciate it.  I just miss sleeping in.  :(

Have a WONDERFUL day!

"Do things that count, but don't count
the things you do."




4 comments:

  1. Barney looks very happy, one of the lucky ones, TNR is making a difference as you say, if we had more man power to place and watch the traps, the problem would be solved so much quicker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great job and great day Janine. I am not sure how to get more man power for TNR - but we may want to consider contacting the Beechwood Neighborhood Coalition. I know we talked about it in the past and even tried to attend a meeting (it got cancelled) but maybe the time is right? Let's think about it. -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job Janine! You are making a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not easy to have you on every street, you are one of a kind, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete