Thursday, November 13, 2014

Open Mouth, Insert Foot


Speaking of the four cats that were brought to my neighbor who adopted Autumn the kitten a few weeks back, and who offered to foster more kittens, and who received four cats a week and half or so ago, the ones we now refer to as the Roberts Wesleyan College cats - I want to clarify that they were not 'dumped' on her.  My neighbor had offered to foster kittens, but these were older kittens and also feral, so I don't think she was prepared for the feral bit.  She thought she might get some nice and cuddly little kittens.  She had offered, and I should have used the word 'dumped'.  It was insensitive of me, and also insensitive to refer to the caretaker on the college's property as being mentally unstable.  I think things just got over his head, but what a caring heart on this man.  I believe we all make mistakes in the things we say at times in life, and we judge others too quickly.

Having kittens, or even older kittens, or even adult cats that you are fostering can be stressful, unless you are willing to put the time into getting them to trust you, and then introducing them to the rest of your own clan, so that you don't have to spend extra time with one group or another.  Sometimes, tempers, and blood pressure can flare when things aren't going as planned.  So, in the heat of the moment, I say things that might hurt or offend others, and I do apologize for that.  We all have the best intentions for cats that need our help, whether they are sweet and cuddly, or need a bit of help in socialization.  They cannot help that they were born outdoors, and only learned to trust one person who was caring for them (I am speaking of the Roberts Wesleyan College cats now), and then brought to another location where that person doesn't have the time, or the patience.  And that is due to a number of reasons also.  But bottom line, we have to be kind to all animals, including the humans!  And I used the wrong expression and didn't mean to hurt or offend anyone involved in this scenario.

Every once in a while, I screw up and offend someone.  Its true, we must choose our words carefully in every situation of our lives, because humans are sensitive.  I am overly sensitive myself, right Mom?   Its true. I don't always choose my words carefully enough.  So, please accept my truly sincere apology.



I would love to leave on the door the following, for the man that owns a dog that he has been breeding over and over and over again through the year that I've been feeding and sheltering cats on a vacant lot in the city.  Her body is pitiful and tired looking after all the litters she has had to endure - only to have her babies taken from her and sold.  I wonder if it would make a difference.

A Dog's Plea

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I might lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when the sound of your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.
Please take  me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
Feed me clean food that I might stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun.
Please see that my trusting life is taken gently so I may leave this Earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always
Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't read the letter to the man about this dog - it would have broken my heart. But I read the rest of your blog and I know you Janine - and I know you never mean to hurt anyone's feelings. In fact I know it just about devastates you to do so. You are a sensitive person and a strong person and without being both, you could never do what you do.

    ReplyDelete