Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Be Thankful

Butterscotch

Butterscotch - Oh, the indignity of it all!

"Why are you forcing me to pose for a picture Janine?"

I often think about not writing this blog - sometimes its hard to come up with something new and interesting, sometimes I ask for advice, and I don't get any - which makes me think that people aren't reading it, or don't want to bother.  Its odd, but since the news story aired, I have less people looking at this blog.  I thought it would be the other way around.  I do get down occasionally, I have so much on my plate, and sometimes feel unappreciated.  But that's just my own stuff.  There are others that I know are reading this, because they e-mail me personally, and comment there.  I thank them for that.  I drove home this morning just plain feeling sorry for myself, and sorry for these cats out there.  At each spot, as I get close, they can hear the rickety vehicle I pull up in, its making all sorts of noises as it gets closer to the 100,000 mile marker.  I have an average of 4 cats at each location, at each of the what....  15 spots?  And its taking me longer, and its not even snowing yet.  I left the house at 4:30 this morning, and didn't get back until 5:50.  I then have to rinse out my wet food containers - refill those, refill the 20 pounds of dry food into the bags, all ready for the next morning.  I then sit here and think of something to say, until its time to begin getting ready for work. 

Many folks have commented on shelters.  I thank you for your wise advice.  I've been sheltering these animals for years now, and its only the few spots that people trash my shelters year after year that I have trouble with rebuilding.  I try to make them as obscure to the eye as possible.  I have made many a shelters in the past, and lately have had a friend make them for me out of styrofoam, when we are lucky enough to find styrofoam, and with the plastic totes.   I was also donated two wooden huts, but those will need to be waterproofed first, although too late, they are out in the elements as we speak.  They were too clunky to remove and place back in the vehicle, so I just brought them to the areas where needed after sticking some straw in them.  I just don't have the time or energy lately to make things perfect.   Every shelter I have the openings face the east, because its a well known fact that not only do we get lake effect snow from the north, but we get most of our storms coming in from the west.  Rarely do we get storms from the east, or south, but we do occasionally.  And the reason why I ask for boards is so that I can place them against the openings, which helps to deter the wind and snow and rain from getting inside. I think my point in mentioning the shelters not being up to snuff for me is that most of the tarps I have are either too small, or are not weatherproof.  If they are too small, they won't cover the backs of the shelters so that when we get a big storm, and snow is coming from EVERY direction, there is not enough security from the tarp to hold the snow out.  Its complicated. You must come see them for yourself. This is also why I need bricks and concrete blocks, to hold the tarps down.  All survived the winds yesterday.  Nothing was too damaged.

I will leave this post with the following poem - I thank all of you who have supported me in one way or another - you have touched my life  - I simply could not do it without you.  I hope you know that.: 
Be Thankful
Be thankful that you don’t already have everything you desire,
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you don’t know something
For it gives you the opportunity to learn.
Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations
Because they give you opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful for each new challenge
Because it will build your strength and character.
Be thankful for your mistakes
They will teach you valuable lessons.
Be thankful when you’re tired and weary
Because it means you’ve made a difference.
It is easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are
also thankful for the setbacks.
GRATITUDE can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles
and they can become your blessings.
Author Unknown

7 comments:

  1. It IS very difficult to do and see what you do everyday without getting down. And the comments people make on your blog help you feel not so alone in your efforts. So if any of you out there are hemming and hawing over whether or not to comment - please do! Even just to say "hi, I read your blog and great job today!" Everything seems worse in the dark and cold and being out there alone doing this day after day, year after year, can really do a number on a person's optimism. Let's help Janine not feel so alone readers! :) On that note - Hi Janine! I will help you this week/weekend winterize shelters. What day is good for you? I will send you a private email and we can make a plan. ♥ Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janine! I still read your blog daily. And my parents always ask me about how you and the kitties are doing! Butterscotch is so cute! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Janine - you know I read your blog everyday. I think of you often; please know we're with you on your travels - in thought and heart if not in person. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine, we think of you often here, and not just when we're threatening to send Charley back to Aunt Janine. ;) Yesterday he ripped open a bag of marshmallows that were supposed to be sent in a care package for my sister in Virginia. Cats aren't supposed to be able to taste sweet things, but Charley certainly thinks he can! Little brat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janine, I don't think we follow your blog for you to come up with something new everyday. I don't.
    I just like to coming along, sharing your good days and bad. Seeing how you keep going helps me handle my cat 'thing' and makes me feel that I'm not alone, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep..... I read everyday. Janine inspires me.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janine, I read your blog faithfully every day but just never post a comment. The homeless cat situation is a problem everywhere. It is heartbreaking but I admire what you do and wish I lived nearby to help you out. I'm in Syracuse. You are a true angel! The world needs more people like you! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Rosalee

    ReplyDelete