Monday, November 24, 2014

Batten the Hatches!



This is the kitty rescued by my friend Kristin from Roberts Wesleyan College, with help from the gentleman that resides on the property, and his sister.  Butterscotch was pretty feral, but with time and patience, he is slowly coming around.  He has to be the SWEETEST feral ever, because he snuggles so hard into my chest, neck and face, you would think he was terrified, but he is slowly coming around, as I walk him around the house, we talk to the other cats, we lay on the carpet and he rolls on his back. Yes, I offered to take him and get him socialized.  He reminds me of my deceased Cinnamon.  If anyone is looking for the most cuddliest cat ever, this is your guy.  Please consider, and spread the word.  Butterscotch is about eight months old and fully vetted. Better pictures coming.  





And lets not forget Lacey!  She is the pathetic looking pregnant female rescued from Second, that Nancy has taken in to foster.  She is a TRUE sweetheart.  Spread the word!

Very windy this morning, gusts reaching 50 mph is what they are predicting.  Thank God I had some cement blocks to use to place over the tarps that I placed over the shelters this weekend.  It was a rough morning on Sunday, it took nearly two hours to get some of my spots secured, and I still wasn't happy with them.  When the storms hit, the insides, where the food and water and shelter openings are, they will all be covered in snow.  Its nearly impossible to snowproof these spots.  I would love to have an architect come along sometime, and tell me what i am doing wrong.  Maybe I don't need an architect, just someone who can see this during the day, have a think about it, and come up with a better plan.  I don't know, but I will continue to build each spot up that needs improvement, and get it right.  In the meantime, the cats sit back and most likely are thinking "WTF is she doing, can she PLEASE just put the food down and leave, so that we can eat!!!"

If you will remember Nancy, the nice woman I met at my Short Street shelter, who volunteers at the food cupboard across the street on Saturdays...  she asked if she could ride along with me occassionally in the mornings, and has been on and off since.  She had her male cat fixed a few weeks back, and has a female that is not spayed yet, but will be.  Since she had this male cat fixed, he has been extra - lets say ...  'frisky', and has been aggressively 'romancing' the female ever since.  She is very frustrated, and I don't know what to tell her.  The female is not in heat, nor pregnant, so says Nancy, and will be spayed this week.  But we cannot figure out why this personality change that the cat has had.  Why is he so extra frisky.  Has anyone heard of this?  My cat friends out there??? Any advice you can give?

I will be getting some pictures of my spots for you this week.  Its also Thanksgiving week, and I have three days in a row off beginning Wednesday, and I am THRILLED!  Beyond belief.  Thanksgiving is about setting aside time to give thanks for one's blessings.  I went to mass yesterday, the service was at the Hochstein School of Music, and my friend Frank, who passed away a year ago, was remembered.  The pastor gave a beautiful sermon about giving thanks, and giving back to people in need.  The following verse was read:

Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’


Bottom line:  You don’t have to be rich to make a difference. Millions of ordinary people who you pass on the street every day--also gave to charity, for the sake of making the world a better place, one dollar at a time.

Whether you donate money or time, giving back is beneficial--and not just for the recipients.  “it’s better to give than to receive” is true after all.

The same holds true for animals in need.

Have a great day!!

5 comments:

  1. LAcey may have looked pathetic when you first grabbed her but she looks gorgeous now!! :) And Butterscotch sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lacey looks even better now than in those pixs. She's filled out beautifully - her body and fur. Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If those shelters are out in the open and thats why you are saying they are impossible to snowproof- a lot of mine are- all you have to do is face them East and lean a board slanted across the front. That will protect them from all but the pretty occasional "Noreaster".
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since reading tomorrow's post of yours, I'm coming back to be a know-it-all and answer your question about the 'frisky' male.
    I've had male cats do this, too. After a while, could be a day or two or could be longer, their hormones get out of their system and they behave like gentlemen. Seems I read somewhere that sometimes having a cat neutered releases a surge of hormones into their bodies, but with their family jewels gone, they do settle down.
    Tell Nancy to give him a chance, he'll be OK. At least, that's been my experience.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding "Mr. Frisky"--It could be a display of dominance. Or, perhaps he was not really "fixed" and is a cryptorchid--the vet could have missed something. Also, it takes awhile for the hormones to leave their system.

    ReplyDelete