Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Cattywampus

Definition - askew, awry, kitty-corner
Cattywampus is a variant of catawampus, another example of grand 19th century American slang. In addition to “askew” catawampus may refer to “an imaginary fierce wild animal,” or may mean “savage, destructive.”
After some very catawampus chawing of the Philadelphia Vade Mecum (a rival sporting paper), the Editor gives a programme of “The Day!”—thus: Epitome of News for Saturday.
— United States Telegraph (Washington, DC), 23 Jul. 1835
I love words.  Just thought I would throw in a word for the day!




Boy do I feel out of the loop.  I am so grateful for those of you that have helped do my spots in the mornings.  I just can’t tell you how much.  But I worry.  Boy do I worry.  I worry that the cats are confused by the time change of seeing a human, and waiting for their meal. I worry that the towels that are at some of the locations, where its usually nice and dry inside, but the towels serve as a warm comfort when they are standing there eating.  I worry about some of the locations – will they still be there in the morning?  There are evil people who maintain some of the vacant properties that will come along and remove an entire colonies’ ‘home’ a/k/a shelter.  This is where the cats ride out the storms, where they eat when its raining or snowing, where they sleep at night, feeling safe and secure.  There are a few out there that this could happen hours after you leave.  They will come along, see this stuff, and take it.  None of these have a NO TRESPASSING sign anywhere, so I am not breaking the law. I’m just trying to help these unfortunate creatures. 

I am also awake and up at 3 am., and with you in spirit.  I cannot sleep past that time.  I think about who is out there, and the cats, and the storms, and if shoveling is needed.  I think about the cats I want to rescue but can’t.  I just can’t get into the bathroom where they first go after being let out of the carrier, before going to a vet, and me comforting them and making sure they are calm when they are let out.  I just can’t maneuver my scooter – its too large, and bulky.  I want to rescue the grey on Parsells, I want to rescue Ranger on Central.  There are so many out there I am not able to get to know right now because I am not seeing them.  I need to get this ankle healed!

I did go to the doctor on Monday.  He removed the temporary cast that has been on there for nearly two weeks, and replaced it with a ‘boot’.  He said the x-rays looked really good, everything was healing.  He said ‘another six weeks.’  No pressure on my foot.  My hip on the other side is killing me. I’ve needed a hip replacement for six months now.  It’s a horrible situation, but I have to get through this.  And I will!

Now that I have had my little pity party – on to better things.  Spring is just ahead!  60 degrees on Sunday! 
 "Be nice to strangers. 
Be nice even when it doesn’t matter."

We need to get little Holly adopted, and Annie, and Jules, and Larry, and Parsley and Hermie.  They are all waiting for the perfect, patient person to end their search for permanent love and affection. They are my babies that were semi-feral, living on the streets for most of their lives, who have had issues of trust, but with the right person, they will come around.  They just need that one to one time for bonding.  Think about it!


Elsa Update:  Elsa was a cat I was feeding under a porch on Garson near Chamberlain.  We had an ice storm and I did not see Elsa that morning.  I drove back to find her after doing my Garson spot.  I took one look at her, covered in icicles, and knew this little girl, who was not afraid of the human touch, needed to be rescued, and so I did.

Before:



After:   Click on this picture, she is so beautiful!!!




Please click on her picture to see how pretty she is.   Elsa is now in a home where her parents love her like their own child.  She is spoiled, warm, and loved.  What else could she want?

Have a great day!


"Let us learn to live with kindness, 
to love everyone, 
even when they do not love us."
Pope Francis


No comments:

Post a Comment