Thursday, July 26, 2018

Updates!

Julie being held by her Dad

I love updates!

Thanks Kristin, for adopting our little Posey (Remember Rosey, Toesie, Posey?)  click on pic to see up close!

"Just over one year ago we adopted Posey AKA Bailey .... he’s not happy unless we’re holding him, he’s cuddled with his sister or he’s eating!"

So I got into this business long ago - feeding and rescuing stray cats - adult cats that is.  Occasionally I would get a kitten.  Two or so years ago I started seeing more, and last year was a bonanza - 60+ kittens I rescued and found homes for.  This year, its like.....   19, and that includes Tuesday's rescue, Buddy.


CONNOR

An update on Connor.  He continues to be fostered by Joanne, and continues to get healthier – even though it’s a very slow process.   He is my little million dollar cat.  His vet bill last week was another $300.  They determined this time that he has ringworm and is being treated for that ($47 additional for the meds.  Joanne has been so patient and kind.

It’s the adult cats that I rescue that are the most precious to me.  To take a scared animal off the street, and to see it begin to thrive, there is nothing like it.  To see the gratitude in its eyes when it looks at you, instead of fear, that’s what its all about for me.   I have rescued HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS throughout the past 20 years.  Not all were easy – some were very sick and had to be humanely euthanized – some took longer than others to become adopted - some were not adoptable due to one reason or another (and they usually wound up with me!) – and some are still waiting for adoption!  But there are so many testaments by adopters of adult cats that would fill a book about how iffy it was at first, how difficult it was for the cat to acclimate to learn to trust a human.  And then came the bonding, the trust, and the love.  When that cats looks you directly in your eyes and says ‘it is you I deem worthy to love and protect and wait on me hand and foot.”  Those are the moments! 

There are so many of them out on the streets still that are waiting for homes.  I have at least five in mind right now.  Its very hard to leave them each morning.  I took a picture of one at my second to last stop on Parsells this morning.  I believe this cat (I didn’t feel anything ‘back there’! – so don’t know if boy or girl!) is related to Moxy and Mitzy – its poly dactyl!.  If you recall, I rescued those two brother and sister last year.  They were both adopted out to good homes.  This little one just sat at the curb watching me leave.  Heartbreak.

Parsells Kitty this a.m.

My friend and foster Melissa is going to update my blog to have a tab of the cats that needs homes/foster – I cannot rescue without a plan, except if a cat is injured.  And my resources are dwindling.  Kristin and I are muddling around that we may not have a Meow and Chow fundraiser this year – we procrastinate (I do) thinking we have all the time in the world to choose a venue, and then its too late for availability when we want it.  We are thinking of other ways to raise money to help me continue to feed these cats every day.  Food is very costly.  Another trip to WalMart today will cost me $100 on average.  That’s weekly.  So that’s $100 per week.  And that’s just dry food.  The wet is just as bad when you are going through over a case (36 cans) PER DAY.  That’s way over $10K per year.  I am thankful for the occasional drop offs and deliveries.  Really, I am.  So I depend on the kindness of others. 

So thank you to all that have helped me in the past – there are so many ways people have helped, and I just can’t thank you enough.

I have another day off tomorrow – and hopefully will deliver KC to her new home.  I will miss that little girl.  Speaking of trust – her, and her siblings, have changed drastically since I had trapped them several weeks ago.  KC now lets me pick her up without running away from me.  Junebug is at the clinic now being spayed, and is loved to pieces, along with Patches and JPs new parents.

BUDDY (My Latest Rescue) This A.M.
Thanks all, and keep the updates coming!

Have a great day!

Image result for kindness to strangers quotes

2 comments:

  1. PLEASE HAVE A FUNDRAISER THIS YEAR !
    I had such a good time at last years !
    I have a second book of cat stories ready to publish to bring to a fundraiser to raise money for you !
    Everyone will be so sad if you dont !
    How will you be able to operate for another year if you dont get the big pile of donations that you get at the fundraiser ?
    :O
    :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel,

      You are absolutely 100% right! It is absurd to even consider not having the Fundraiser.

      Great for networking and very much needed to raise donations.

      Delete