Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Red Cats!

So, some good news is that Jamie is being adopted, and Jack has a meet and greet tonight!    The family that wants Jamie went to meet him yesterday and fell in love.  He will go to his new home this Sunday.  Lets keep our fingers crossed for Jack!

Jack

Jamie

Tonight, my friend will stop over after work to meet JP.  Her BF, who is a business owner, recently adopted a little older kitty, a girl, for his office.  She is very content there, but lonely.  We may introduce the two of them this Saturday to see if it will work out.  JP was the last of the litter that I trapped on Garson three weeks ago.  They have all come a long way, with Junebug and Patches already adopted (Junebug just about), but JP is more shier than the rest of them.  KC is too, but JP - because he is not as 'pretty' as the others, might be harder to adopt out, so my friend is willing to take him over KC, for just this reason.  (But he's still cute!)  Thank you JACK - and your BF too! 

The cat I had trapped yesterday didn't have to spend the entire night on my porch last evening.  We let him back to his colony (although I've never seen him there - Garson Avenue - before).  I made sure he wasn't too groggy from the anesthesia given during his surgery, gave him some food, which he wouldn't eat, and told him I would let him out.  I love being able to get a finger inside the cage where he can't immediately bite me to give him a little touch, a human touch, which might be the only one he will ever know, before he is let back out.  He ran like the devil when the trap door opened.




So some interesting stuff happened yesterday.  I've mentioned how I've been setting a trap for a little fluffy red kitten on Parsells that was seen two Saturdays ago.  I set a trap every day, but got nothing but a larger cat, and a baby skunk.  I finally gave up after not seeing the kitten.  I then set an adult trap there on Tuesday morning, and caught a raccoon.  I was hoping to trap the mother of this kitten, at least.  This is the location where I rescued 'hurricane' Harvey and 'hurricane' Huey, who were nursed by Kristin due to severe eye issues, and their need for more attention than I could give them.  Around that time, I did several TNR's of several red cats there, and thought I had them all.  I thought i had trapped all the kittens too.  Come to find out months ago, a man who works at the business there saw my flier I keep at the shelter on City property and wrote me telling me that he had rescued a small red kitten around that time, and took her home, nursed her eye issues as well, and named her Miss Macaroni and Cheese.  She is Harvey and Huey's sister.  Then come to find out, this couple (his girlfriend) had been following my blog and saw that I had Lolly and Pop available for adoption, and wanted to adopt them!  Long story short, Lolly and Pop are now Donny and Marie, and living the good life with Miss Mac'n'cheese.





PARSELLS CATS

Yesterday I received a note from a couple, who come to find out, live RIGHT BEHIND THE VACANT LOT  there on Parsells!  Get a load of this!

"Hi, thank you for helping the cats. We are at ## Melville St. and are
feeding about 12 cats daily. We also have a new mom with 4 kittens.
coming from the Parsells Ave. Vacant house. Tom 585-###-####"

So I wrote back:

Hello!  I received your note, and thank YOU so much for your care and concern for these cats.  They are actually ‘community cats’ (see link below), and I feed and care for them as well.  I have a little hut structure in the vacant lot behind you!  I have RESCUED a number of cats from this property over the past couple of years – both cats and kittens – and have had them vetted, spayed/neutered, and found them good homes.  I also set traps for the new ones I see for TNR (trap, neuter, return).  I take them to the clinic on Bay Street for spaying, rabies and distemper shots, and if they are not adoptable, I have to return them to the location.  I saw a baby fluffy red kitten there a week before this past Saturday, and set a trap every day in hopes to get it.  But no luck.  You say there is a number of them?  Can you guess how old?  Are they walking/running around?  Can you tell me what color the mother is? 

I will continue to set a trap for them as long as I can and have clinic spots available to me.  These cats are there through no fault of their own.  They are the result of people letting their kittens grow into adults without spay and neuter, and have no where to go when they display spraying behavior from not being fixed or have fleas, and get kicked out of the house.

I just thought of something!  No wonder the cats are not going into the trap I set.  You have food out for them!  J  Is there any way you can remove the food on Monday and Wednesday afternoons?  I try to set a trap there on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and if they are hungry, they will go into the trap.  If there is food available, they will not.

Also, on Monday, the 23rd, I will be setting a trap there as well, so if you could remove your food on Sunday afternoon, the 22nd.  I am sure, that with collaboration, we can reduce the number of cats there!  Thank you so much for your compassion!




And they wrote back:

"Janine,
Hello back,
I spoke with Chuck @ (#############) he tells me that he is building a shelter on his site. He told me the City lot shelter was in jeopardy and would be safer on his side of the fence. We also have a sheltered feed and water station set up. It's being used by a number of local cats, skunks, possums and the occasional raccoon. We currently pull food and water in the PM due to the potential for raccoon problems.

The new kitten batch includes 2 orange, 1 orange and white, and a Tortoiseshell  they are  about 4/5weeks old, mom is also a Tortoiseshell. They are not weaned yet but, just starting to play hide and pounce. Please note however, they still tip over a lot.

As of this morning a new Tortoiseshell kitten showed up and has tried to adopt me. It is just barely old enough to be on its own but, did eat some dry food and have a drink. We do not know where its mother might be. It is currently safe in our kitten friendly back yard but, can't become a permanent resident unless fixed.

We have been here over thirty years and are VERY aware of the pet dumping and lack of care being provided by poor pet owners. We have rescued and placed many "critters" during our time here. We also are currently owned by 4 of the rescues.
Edie and I will continue to maintain a water and feeding station for your returns. We would like a week or two more before we trap the clowder. They are a source of great amusement for us during their new exploration period.  (NOTE:  I will need to educate these folks that the longer kittens are out there, the more feral they become, and not adoptable).

You can consider taking the 1 Melville St. site off your to do list. Let us know what we need to do take over the site.


Thank you for your efforts!"

I am not quite sure what they meant in that last sentence, but I will ask.  Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL! to have one of my colonies cared for by someone else!  WOO HOO!  I won't get my hopes up.  There is so much emotion involved with all the cats I feed.  They LOVE me!  At least three of those red adult cats now sidle up to me and love my scratches and pats. 

I will keep you all posted, but I can't tell you how good it makes me feel to know that there are many GOOD people out there in these neighborhoods!  People that CARE!  Thank you Chuck and Danielle, and thank you Tom and Edie! 

Have a great day!




No comments:

Post a Comment