Monday, November 30, 2015

The Monday Morning Post



Its been a long crazy five days, but oh so wonderful.  I could live like this forever, not working, but know its not possible, for today.  I can admit though, that I actually experienced boredom.  But did I catch up on the gazillion things I put off when I am not bored?  No.  I didn't open one magazine, or read one newspaper.  Did I pick up a novel to read, something I haven't done in a couple of years?  No.  Did I go to the movies and spend a few hours outside of my own head?  No.  Did I go shopping?  Did I pull dead hosta leaves from the garden, no.  Instead, I took naps, and cooked.  I visited with a few friends, and cleaned.  I drank a bit of wine.  That is the extent of my week.  But it was bliss nevertheless.

The Feed a Cat For Christmas campaign is moving along nicely.  I have received donations for the first NINE days of December.  Although besides one, no one has mentioned they would like their donation in honor or in memory of anyone.  Please be sure to let me know either in the notes when you make a credit card donation, or email me.  Thank you so much for making this happen Carrie.  I don't have the creativity to think of stuff like this, but its amazing how much its appreciated, to know that the food is covered by someone for a day.  Its truly amazing.  Thank you so much all of you for your donations. 

The hood remained the hood this past week.  There was a shooting on Second and Bay in the early morning Thanksgiving day.  I feed at the opposite end of Second - and there were no signs of police presence, I didn't even know about it until I got home from my rounds.

I spiffed up a few shelters and fed a bit more food on Thanksgiving morning.  I drove away, as I always do, sad about the cats I've had to leave behind.  I always tell them, one day, I will come back for you.  And you.  And you.  Yes, and you too.  :)  I must say, this past year, people were kinder to my shelters.  Not too many destroyed, except for the incident on Pennsylvania and Fourth, where Crazy Tim destroyed my stuff, until I had to call the police, and then went and got a garden permit, and spiffed this vacant lot up.  Its going to be beautiful come spring when the bulbs we planted bloom.  The shelters behind it are nearly invisible, but the eight or so cats remain.  I pray they use the newly built shelters there this winter.  They are going to need them. 

PATCHES

Patches, the kitty with the chronic stomatitis, is still very ill.  He has moments where his mouth looks ok (he isn't drooling blood and his tongue seems to be licking all the time), and he will come out to eat. I've had to give him 3 mls. per day of antibiotic and steroid.  I mix it in with his food, sometimes he will eat it, sometimes not.  The meds do not seem to be working.  His mouth makes this little chucking sound, I can't describe it in words, but you can tell he is having a hard time just licking, or swallowing.  I will call the vet again today and see what they say.  Don't forget, he is also hiding under the bed in the spare room I have.  I have to pull him out each time.  I cuddle with him, he purrs in my arms, but he is not a happy boy.  I feel terrible about it.  I know you have all made suggestions, but please, walk in my shoes.  I have a full plate, and its hard for me to do the research and different vets, money, etc.  If you can make it easier for me, feel free.  But I also can't allow Patches to suffer like he is either.  Buttons is doing better, but he is also hiding, not as much, but still hides.  He is a SWEETHEART when I hold him.  He has never known a life of caring.  Its absolutely amazing to see the transformation of a cat that has never known a home. 

VIOLET
The great news:  Violet seems to be eating!  I brought over this Iams shredded stuff, and she ate it without choking or vomiting!  So this little girl is just about ready for adoption!  Who wants a kitten??  She needs to be spayed, so I must make the appointment for her.

Tomorrow I have some new stuff to share about Maryleigh.  She is a sick woman.  In the meantime, off to work I go!

Have a great day!

"It seems to me that any full grown, mature adult would have a desire to be responsible, to help where he can in a world that needs so very much, that threatens us so very much." 

7 comments:

  1. Is Patches taking any pain medicine? That might help with his symptoms even if it doesn't cure his illness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be feeding a cat for Christmas in memory of my sweet Lucy that just passed unexpectedly. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you would be far better giving Patches his meds directly rather than mixing it in with his food. You said he was sometimes eating it sometimes not so he isnt getting the full dose. Try giving it to him directly and see if it helps first please. It scares me that you sound like you are thinking of euthanizing him when it IS treatable. Please try this. Also the liquid clindamycin I think tastes terrible. Maybe try the half tablet of doxycycline in a piece of pill pocket instead.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently adopted a sick feral kitten here near the corner of Culver and Norton where there is a thriving colony. Because of her red gums the vet fears she will have the same problem as Patches. She's only about 5 monthes and hasn't had any problems yet. We were going to try clindamycin in pill pockets as she'll usually eat anything. It's good to hear someone say this is treatable because my vet's prognosis isn't good. Anyway this kitten had enough of living outside and wanted to live inside with my cat so we'll do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And if there is still active infection 5 days wouldnt be enough. Hope the vet said that. The five days pulse dosing is only for ongoing preventative treatment after the infection is gone. Someone suggested last week trying another vet and I agree. Like I posted last week www.all4petswny.com (or maybe it is .org) has a list of financial aid links in addition to their own for vet bills.I think it would be a real good time to check those out.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Janine, whatever you decide to do is the right decision. Unless someone else steps up to take over Patches' care, medicate him 3x a day, and get him socialized so he's not constantly scared and hiding under a bed all day, you do what you need to do. I understand how stressful and time-consuming it is to care for a cat like that.

    Is there someone reading this comment who has an extra room and the time to take care of Patches, research treatments, get him to vet appts, and help socialize him? Please contact Janine and let her know! She's doing all this on her own time and mostly with her own funds and can't do it all, though she tries her best to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janine SAYS she appreciates advice and suggestions from people yet when a comment like the above is posted, it sounds like the suggestions are not welcome. Believe me I wish that I could take in Patches and give him the same chance my other cats with plasmacytic lymphocytic stomatits have gotten, which is successfully treated. But I already have far too many cats, illnesses and mouths to feed in my houses and colonies and barn cats. I just cant. I honestly have absolutely NO PLACE to put another cat. But it breaks my heart when a cat is given up on and euthanized without even getting basic proper treatment for an infection. Doxycycline could be given once a day (I dont understand why clindamycin is being given three times a day anyway) and pred is once a day and is cheap. His pain and inflammation would be brought under control by tjose drugs being properly dosed and gotten INTO him. When suggestions are made and then deemed impossible to follow, it is very upsetting. I didnt get the impression he was feral just in pain and avoiding medication that tastes terrible. I just feel like a decent chance should be given to every cat janine takes off the streeet. I wish I could take him and all the others who need help, believe me. I am sure this will piss some people off.Apparently I dont belong here since I dont believe in killing an animal unless treatment options have been exhausted. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but I feel like Patches is being given up on far too soon.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete