Wednesday, November 25, 2015

TGIW!



Cats have 30 adult teeth and 26 baby teeth. That’s far fewer than dogs (42 and 28) and less than humans (32 and 20). Those “fangs” or upper canine teeth often protrude saber-tooth tiger style and lend some cats an intimidating smile. Yes, I’m afraid. And I think those enamel-embellished kitties prefer it that way.

I give you this information just because I was researching yesterday, thinking that may be the cure for Patches, who is suffering terribly with the ulcer on his tongue.  I finally spoke to someone at the vet place he has been seen three times now, where each time he would receive an injection of antibiotic, and steroid.  They said he has chronic plasmacydic (sp?) stomatitis, and it will never go away.   His life will consist of daily medicines, and that still won't take away the pain he is in with his mouth.  He has bloody drool, very smelly due to constant infection in the gums.  They don't recommend removal of his teeth, because the disease will always be there and the tongue will be ulcerative constantly.  I did ask if a cleaning might help, and they agreed that it would help, but not cure.  So that will be done this Friday for Patches.  In the meantime, I am considering euthanasia for him down the road if this treatment still isn't working.  He still hides from me, so I have to pull him out from waaaaaaay under the bed, and then hold him until he is calm.  He isn't grooming himself because of the pain.  Poor guy.  So, say a little prayer for Patches. 

My mother had to put her cat to sleep yesterday.   Mikey.  I rescued Mikey when I had a shelter on Third Street, before the house was torn down, many years ago.  Mikey was a beautiful sweet boy who needed to get off the street.  He lost a lot of weight, and the doctor thought, due to various signs, that it was cancer.  Rest in peace sweet Mikey!

Mikey on Third before his rescue

I will be calling the Sargeant of the Goodman section this morning, as was advised by friends to do to find out why Lisa wasn't arrested yesterday - I spoke to 911 and I must call before they end their shift this morning, which is soon.  I appreciate the comments yesterday.  I still commend the officers for being as nice as they were to me!  (UPDATE, I just called, no one available, I am just letting this go, until the next time).

The cat I TNR'd (let go this morning - heartbreaking once again) from Webster and Ferndale, Frankie, turned out to be a girl.  The clinic said she was 'very sweet' so again, heartbreaking for me to have to let her back out there this morning.

I am on vacation today.  I love it.  I have so much to do to get ready for the big holiday tomorrow.  I leave you with lots and lots of pictures taken this morning.  Be sure to click on the pics to see them up close.  AGAIN, please consider FOSTER and adoption, they really need OUR help. 

MELVILL STREET

PARSELLS #1 (where Prince hasn't been seen for a week now)

PARSELLS #2 (where Parsley is)

PARSLEY!

GARSON Gang

BALDWIN & GRAND - Mr. Fluffypants #2


SHORT STREET (where Buttons was just rescued)

THIRD & CENTRAL


NIAGARA - KITTEN ALL GROWN




Behind Paul's house on SECOND STREET



PENNSYLVANIA & SECOND

PENNSYLVANIA & FOURTH


BIG RED # 2 in the background!

PARSLEY!


Interesting story from Belgium:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/23/europe/paris-attacks-brussels-lockdown-cats/index.html

Have a great day!

"If we are not happy and joyous at this season,
for what other season shall we wait and
for what other time shall we look?"

 

2 comments:

  1. Janine, please don't give up on Patches. You need to take him to a different vet. I have a cat with stomatitis, and although there isn't really a cure, he is not showing any signs of it. Some of his teeth were pulled and then he was put on pulse therapy antibiotics for about a year and a half--and now he is off all meds and seems fine. When he was rescued, his breath would knock your socks off! I know someone who is really great with laser gum surgery. There are a number of things that can be done for Patches--but not all vets are as well versed in dental care as others... If you want to know the best place to go for feline dental care, let me know in your blog and I will email you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with who ever commented above. Please don't give up on patches. The prednisone and antibiotics should take care of the infection and inflammation and then he won't be in pain. Most vets seem to agree that removing the teeth usually ends the inflammation because it is a case of the immune system attacking the gums and causing the inflammation and that removing the teeth and that cycle. I agree that he should see another vet. For a good list of financial aid places for grants to apply for, go to www.all4petswny.com. there is a financial aid link on their website. For pets is the Financial Aid Fund started by Lori's natural foods. They themselves might be the first place to try but it looks like you may have to call or email them to see if there are funds available right now because the grant application link isn't working. There is also of course Rochester hope for pets. I have a cat who after having most of his teeth removed still had to be on pred and doxycycline for a while but now is off those and is fine. Carole

    ReplyDelete