Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tuesday Tails



For anyone that knows me well, they know I HATE talking on the phone.  Despise it.  Although get a few glasses of wine into me and I will tell you my life story on the phone, all within a short length of time mind you...   When I got home from work yesterday, I immediately called Lillian, the woman who adopted my little five month old kitty Paddy on Sunday.  She was in near hysterics when she heard my voice.  This poor woman, first of all, reminds me of my grandmother.  My grandmother used to fuss and worry about her cats more than anything or anybody.  Poor Lillian worked herself up into a frenzy over Paddy because there were many times she could not find him.  All he was doing was being a kitten, he was in a new environment, didn't know this woman or her voice from a hole in the ground, and he was scared.  She had her neighbors worked up, over looking for him, she tore apart furniture, she unhooked her dryer, she lost her car keys while doing this, and something else major that I forgot she told me - she just didn't elaborate on that because I think she was embarrassed.  I assured her that it was going to take TIME (I assured her over and over and over again) for this adjustment, and that she needed to go about her day, as if he wasn't there, and he would eventually come out.  I also instructed her that she must remove the food she placed for him in the basement (she leaves the door ajar to the very clean basement) and lift it up at night.  I promised her that in the morning, if she would open a can of wet food, tap it into a ceramic or glass dish, he would be at her feet, and at that time, she should quietly go over to the basement door and close it.  I told her to keep him upstairs so that he can get used to the main floor until he gets used to her.  (I repeated these instructions to her over and over).  What could have been a five minute call lasted 20 minutes!  I felt so bad for her.  I thought at any second she was going to ask me to come get him and take him back, so I didn't give her much time to talk, I just kept repeating positive stuff to her, and she agreed.  SO!  To that end, I will be calling her later today, before I leave work, and see if my instructions worked!  HA!  My poor little Paddy..  scared to death.  My first reaction is to take him back, but I know I mustn't do that!

7th Street Feeding Station
Tomorrow I will be trying to trap a pregnant cat, or Laura will be helping, but when I pulled up there this morning to leave a small bit of food down for the five or so cats that hang there, I discovered another pregnant cat!  Its not as full term as the other, but its definitely pregnant.  So, I am hoping for two spots at the clinic tomorrow.  Stay tuned.  Its so sad, it really is.  But thank God the weather is getting a bit better.  My camera failed again this morning, or I would have had some really great pictures.  I have two red kitties that I would love to remove from the streets, both very sweet.

Rescued from 2nd - 'Parker' has been adopted
I also heard from my friend at Lollipop with an update on Gus and Brady, the two kitties I brought in a week ago Monday.  She assured me they were alive, but not much else.  I am hoping she is going to find out more and let me know.  One at a time, we will get help for these kitties that live in the hood.  :)

"I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders."

6 comments:

  1. It took 2-3 months for our new kitties to get comfortable with new surroundings and each other. Now a year later they absolutely run the place with their little routines. So much patience required, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Lillian, poor Paddy. Adjustments are always difficult and how cats hate change. I am still learning too- how critically important this is- even with really outgoing, friendly cats- keeping them IN ONE ROOM at first, when they go to a new home. With really friendly ones it might only be necessary for a day or two, with scaredy-cats it might need to be for a few weeks! but until they feel safe in the new place and get to know the new person a little, and are READY to go exploring, and aren't scared any more- it is SO much better for them and for the people- if paddy was in one room- lillian wouldn't have to be all worried either since she could find him and talk to him! If she can get him into one "safe room", with his food and litter box, I would still strongly suggest it. It really makes for more successful adoptions and less stress for everyone!!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lillian does sound like a very kind lady, I hope it all works out for and the baby, they will give each other so much, so soon !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Paddy. I agree with Carole. He needs a small safe room where he can hide out until he adjusts. Lots of treats help, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe this "older" woman should have adopted an old cat - what happens to the little one when she dies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Julie from Another Chance. Lillian was not that "Old" that she shouldn't have adopted Paddy. I am very careful about that and her Niece who was with her said she would take care of him if something were to happen to her. She and Paddy really connected and she didn't want to meet any of the other adult cats we had that day once she bonded with him. I am confident they will be a good match it is just going to take some time and patience.

    ReplyDelete