Thursday, April 11, 2013

Home Sweet Home!

I am facing some personal challenges in my life these days, as I know we all do, some more than others, and as I got back onto the saddle this morning, as I was leaving my house to go feed in the hood after not having to do it for four days in a row, and with this weather being so miserable, still, the thought of having to do it all over again, to go out in the rain, pick up soaking towels, see the little faces of these sweet angels waiting for their morning meal, I felt this overwhelming sadness wash over me, and I thought, oh God, do I have to do this all over again...  and I did it, and it took me forever, one location, the owner of the home has opened his boarded up house and fixing it up to either rent or sell, and has removed all my sweet shelter I had on its porch for at least five cats through the winter, so I had to find a dry spot nearby and lay some bowls down and shelter those because of the rains we are having.  Once again, these cats 'homes' are disrupted and they have no place to go.  They are confused.  Its very sad for them when this happens.    The point I am making here is that on the way back home to get ready for tomorrow's feeding, and get ready to go to work, after seeing all the little babies I really did miss, and really did think about each morning, that sadness I had felt the hour and half before that had washed away.  I was thankful for the chance that morning to do it.  I was thankful that I could pick up a soaking wet towel and replace it with a dry one, I was thankful I could fill an empty dish with food and clean out a very dirty water bowl.  It just felt good.    So maybe if you are feeling down, call me, come help me, it might just give you the lift you need.  I know it did for me.  There is just something about feeding an empty belly, someone elses, that is just plain rewarding!




I was in San Diego this past weekend, where its always sunny, and the temperatures are always mild.  Everyone is beautiful there, and the prices of just about everything is outrageous.  I went for work and work it was.  I asked the locals about the homeless animal situation, and was told that there are for certain homeless cats in the poorer neighborhoods, but that there were a ton of rescue organizations and shelters, and I took some comfort with the fact that with the mild weather they have there, life on the street wasn't as dire as it is here in Rochester.  The highlight of my trip was a chance to hear John Legend speak at the conference I attended, and then to hear him play five tunes.  This man is awesome!

I will have some updates for you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. So good to have you home Janine, you are right about doing something for another living being, these kiitys that cannot help them selves, and are there , homeless, owner less, thru no fault of their own are the ones that do have a right, to feel they are "owed something", by the rest of us, but they ask for nothing more than a kind human touch, a thought about them each day, that someone cares.. God bless all that you do, truly an amazing selfless person, is Janine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Janine! I always somehow feel better too, after visiting with my colony kitties! Some of them have been my buddies for years now and they always are appreciative and happy to see me, and some of them friendly and loving, each in their own way and to their own level of trust or friendliness. Now that i read this here, I will notice how it lifts my spirits even more! so thank you for putting it into words for me.

    ReplyDelete