Sunday, April 14, 2013

Its a Mad Mad World


Life sure is crazy in the neighborhoods I feed cats in.  I had a scare each morning this weekend.  I have to reiterate the fact that I would like nothing better than to know that there aren't starving and in need cats on the streets in these neighborhoods, and that I wouldn't have to subject my self to unnecessary danger - unnecessary because there is danger enough in daily living, i.e. driving a car, other crazies, etc., and I would like nothing better than to not have to get out of bed every single morning of my life at 4 am. and brave the outdoor elements and stop at 16 different locations and get out and place food and water down for the waiting cats.  But waiting they are, and I couldn't in all good conscience stop feeding them.  Not on my clock.  I know how hungry they are, and how much they depend on first the sound of my car, and second my voice, and third, for some, my gentle pet and pat.

I hope my mother isn't reading this today, because of the events that happened both mornings.  On Saturday, as I pulled up to one spot, I noticed a younger black man with a black hoodie and black pants walking toward me, on the sidewalk.  I got out, said goodmorning to him, as I always say to anyone that I see, and he sort of just kept walking without a word.  I went behind the house to place food and water down while the kitties sat there waiting, with my back to the open driveway, and then noticed the cats running away.  I finished quickly, turned around and saw this guy walking toward me toward up the driveway.  When I saw him he took off running, around the front of the house to the side, and gone.  I quickly went out to the front of the house and yelled something to him, like 'what the F are you doing?' but he was no where to be seen, I quickly dialed 911.  Now, I know that what I do - I take my own life into my own hands doing this.  And I know that what he did was not a punishable offense, but he for sure wasn't coming around the back to say hello to me.  I was shaken by this.  I sat and waited for the cops, and when they did finally come by, I told them the same thing, and they were going to have a look for him regardless.  OK, fine.  So my plan was to leave a half hour later the next morning so that it would be lighter out when I made this stop.

On Sunday, at one of my stops, at which I have never had any trouble, I started to get back into the car after placing food and water down, I heard a loud noise, indescribable, and the next thing I heard glass breaking, and then saw a person hurling headfirst out the glass door on the porch to my right.  I couldn't believe what was happening in front of my eyes.   Did she jump through the door, or was she pushed?  I then saw a  woman get up, run down the steps to the street, turn and run toward my car, run right past my car, jumped into another car, and sped off.   I immediately called 911, and my body shook, my stomach in a knot.  I kept waiting for someone else to come out, as I saw a television glow flickering in the downstairs apartment.  I must have waited for five minutes with no cop in sight, so took off to continue my rounds, until 10 minutes later 911 called me and asked me to go back as the cops were waiting for me.  I went back and this cop, very non-chalantly stated that this was normal, common, that sometimes these criminals are making a statement by breaking glass etc.  I told him there were people in the apartment upstairs that had heard it, and the cop said that no one reported this incident, which is apparently so common in these crime ridden neighborhoods.  He said he would knock on the door, but if no one answered, he couldnt' do anything.  He agreed with me that it was crazy what I saw, but said he has seen so much that it didn't surprise him.  The cop then thanked me for reporting it, and I wished him a good day and drove off, still shaken.

What is wrong with our society today?  Its a very scary world out there.  People just don't care anymore.

(Update from yesterday:  I rescued another two kitties and they are going to Lollipop this morning for eventual adoption!  My friend from Lollipop advised me that they are still low on cats - thank God, and I could bring in a few more.  Meet Gus, from Second, who reminds me so much of my beloved Boris, who is up in kitty heaven, because of his coat.  Very wirey, but this is one sweet sweet boy that survived the brutal winter living in a plastic tote shelter on a porch.  I am so happy he was waiting for me this morning.   The second rescue is Brady, from Stout.  This sweet black kitty runs to me each morning, and competes for his food with another not so friendly black kitty, and a very shy red one.  It was his time.  He is going to make a wonderful companion for someone!)  Yay!!!

Gus

Brady

3 comments:

  1. OMG Janine, you should hope none of us read that horrible report of the hoody-man encounter ! I felt sick myself, just hearing it. This is exactly why you have to have help, it's no joke being in the area for any reason, of course "hoody-man" was approaching you for the wrong reason. Every day, I fear for you, doing your rounds.. My husband flatly refuses to let met go on your rounds with you, for the reasons you experianced today, he says, "give a donation, take a kitty," anything but put myself out in the hood......but you put yourself out there. Those of us who like me, that support what you do, but can do so little, honor your work and dedication to the homeless kittys by adopting from you and spreading the word. I pray for your safety and the cats, that help will come, always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine do you have ANY self-defense, even pepper spray??? Ever think about getting your handgun permit? you need to have something with you if you are going to do this, and we know you are!! You need to be able to protect yourself from these crazies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Lollypop is helping you.

    ReplyDelete