Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday Treat!



Howard and Rufus (a few months ago) wrestling in my kitchen, with Smokey looking on
This morning I had the honor of a law enforcement officer accompany me on my rounds!  This girl found me on the internet and started to read this blog, and reached out to me!  She wanted to see what I actually did, and now she knows!  She might think I am certifiably crazy, but it was so good to have her go with me.  Its actually exciting to describe each location to someone, tell them about the cats I've rescued at each spot, and tell them about who I feed there now.  Ive had the honor of three other people in my over all these years go with me, and what brave souls you are.  I didn't get a chance to really talk to the girl this morning as she had to be at work close to the end of my rounds, but I hope she wasn't too scared.  She was out of her element in these neighborhoods, as she works for the county.  It really does take a strong person to do what I do, so I commend those of you who have gone out there with me.  Thank you, and come again!  :)

Daisy - needs adoption

It was fairly quiet this morning, most kitties saw a new person and stayed back, but I knew they were there.  We are supposed to get a strong storm system passing through today, with rain, falling temperatures and high winds, so I brought some boards to cover the bowls I've been placing behind a house on Sixth where the owner is fixing up the house with intent to sell or rent, so I hope they don't blow over.  There are at least five cats waiting for me there daily, one very pregnant.

Leo - needs adoption


On Garson, the owner once again came by and moved my stuff to the curb.  I moved it right back.  My thought on this is I have no respect for someone like this.  I can respect someone that says hey, c'mon, my family is going to live here, if you could just find another place by a certain date, blah blah blah, but to intentionally go out of your way to deprive an animal its food, and the house is gutted inside, thats another story.  I will continue to feed the two cats that are there daily waiting for me, one friendly but skittish, and the other is Neck Wound Kitty that I've been feeding for years, who suffers from some kind of skin condition, and is now suffering from upper respiratory infection.  Its so hard to see the sick ones.

Thanks to those that commented on my post yesterday.  When I ask for advice, I am thankful for the few that do respond.  It was very good advice for Howard, and I am passing that on.  As far as Harold, if you have time, here is the latest update on Harold :)  Kim is very descriptive!  And she and her family are troopers.  Thank you Kim for your perseverance!

"...in the last week or so, things with Harold are going really well! He comes out from his hiding place (under our bed) a lot more often during the day... he even has come to the top of the stairs the last two days when I have gotten home from work! Chloe always runs to greet me... Harold's not quite there yet... but the fact that he hears me come in the door and comes out of his 'safe zone' is a step in the right direction. He and Chloe seem to be getting along much better also. She rarely hisses at him now, and when she does, it is totally out of the blue. They must like being around each other, because if I am upstairs, and come down to the kitchen or living room, they both trot up from our lower level (family room) together. Or sometimes I will look down the stairs into our living room, and they are both laying there... several feet apart, mind you... but in the same vicinity. There have been a few mini-chase sessions... usually only across the living room, or under the dining room table... but last night, they were really getting into it! Up the stairs, down the stairs... skidding around the kitchen floor... all over the place. They were also 'playing' in Chloe's box (one of her all-time favorite places). It's just a Xerox paper box with no top... she was inside of it, and he was outside of it, and they were swatting at each other through a little slot on the side. Now, maybe they weren't exactly PLAYING... but they went back and forth for a good 5-10 minutes, and no blood was drawn, so it was all good. Same with the chasing... maybe it wasn't ALL in fun... but there was no hissing or growling and they wore themselves out so I was happy. He still does not like laps or the couch. He prefers to come into whatever room I am in, chirp to let me know he is there, then flop over on his side so I can scratch his head or belly or back. When he comes into our bedroom, I pet him on the floor for a few minutes and then pick him up and set him on the bed. He stays for a minute or two, then hops down. However... major breakthrough today.... I was home alone for a few hours and decided to take a little rest since I have not been feeling well. I grabbed a comforter and went to lay down under it when Harold came in... I picked him up and set him on top of the comforter and sloooowly eased myself under it (he still gets spooked at fast movements or noises... more on that in a minute). He flopped over on his side like he always does, but this time he stayed for almost half an hour. He actually fell sound asleep! He was kind of half propped up with his head on my leg and just conked out. Brady is doing his nightly reading right now, and I just tried to put Harold up with him, but Chloe wasn't having any of it... she might be jealous. Anyway, I will continue to keep putting him up on the bed and try to get it through his giant head that that is where he NEEDS to sleep and SHOULD be sleeping. I actually have no idea where he sleeps when he is not under our bed... I find him dozing on the floor in various parts of the house. Which is odd... we have more than enough couches, chairs, a cat bed... hopefully he'll get it one of these days. So, he does still seem skittish... if we move too quickly around him, or make a loud noise by mistake, he jumps and starts to run away, but he never takes more than a step or two. That is about the same as he has been since Day One. He still does his nightly LOUD, CHIRPING rounds... but he seems to be starting later (earlier?) each night... now he usually doesn't start until 4:00 or 5:00. He still just seems slightly unsettled... like he can never quite sit still for any length of time... I swear he's got a touch of ADD or hyperactivity or something. Still no interest in fishing pole or laser pointer (he kind of looks at it like "really? That's a little red light... do you think I'm an idiot?" while Chloe will chase it around for an hour) but he LOVES chasing toy mice around... the more catnip the better. I have the Feliway diffuser plugged in in our upstairs hallway... it's closest to where he spends most of his time, between the bedrooms and office and bathroom (he always follows us in there... weird). I don't know if that is making a difference, or he is just gradually getting used to things, or what. I will just keep doing what I am doing and see where we get. Incidentally... he seems to like Brady more than he likes Billy. I am his favorite, but only because I spend the most time with him. He is very comfortable with Brady. and Brady has learned the signs of when Harold has had enough... he got one nasty scratch on his hand and that was all it took. :)


Have a great weekend everyone!  
"You don't get harmony when everyone sings the same note."

Paddy - needs adoption


3 comments:

  1. So grateful that Harold mom took the time to give all of us an update on her progress with him. What a talented person she must be, and it is an awesome feeling when they snuggle into you after showing such signs of insecurity previously. This has made my day ! May God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Harold is doing just GREAT!!!!
    Is there ANY way for you to get that pregnant cat spayed next week at Habitat for Cats clinic? Judy will always try her hardest to fit a pregnant cat in immediately!!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend should get Harold Pet Naturals Of Vermont Calming for Cats Soft Chews or GNC Relax Chews (not Gel). Give him 1 each night a bedtime.

    ReplyDelete