Monday, April 1, 2013

My Route

My mornings begin at 5:15 in the hood, on a daily basis, never skipping a beat.


I start off on Parsells, where there are two locations, just houses away from each other, but a few months back, there were many cats in between and all around these spots, and they were very territorial, so if I were to combine one, some cats would starve. Both locations are quiet now, I don’t have any kitties coming up to me at either, but I know they are there, I see them hiding or lurking under cards, and their food is gone the next day.

At my third spot around the corner on Stout, yesterday I spotted five cats – three beautiful reds and two black kitties. One black kitty has been neutered, and one red kitty. The other black kitty is very friendly, and sweet. They feed inside an open garage of a vacant home. I don’t know how long I will have use of this when the landlord/owner finally kicks me and all my stuff out.

Around the corner on Garson I feed two cats (that I see) on the porch of where I’ve had to remove the shelters located there because the landlord/owner kept placing them to the curb. I have left two dishes of food and one of water there on a daily basis, thanking God its springtime but sad because they don’t have a nice warm straw lined shelter to nestle in at night.

Around the corner on Hayward, the activity level there has dwindled, I have rescued so many, most recently the little kitty that was trapped in an apartment next door, and is also pregnant, and is now named Pepper due to her fur. Linda is now caring for her. They are eating the food that is there under the lean to against the house, but I don’t see them up close – they are a new bunch there.

Around the corner from there, is where the little baby Baldwin kitten remains. I feed him under a bench, and occasionally see another little kitten that runs that apparently Laura, who trapped two in January, has re-released the little one. The little baby that I see daily now runs to me when I get out of the car. He lets me hold him long enough until he knows I am going to put the food down and then he wants down. My heart breaks for him. I want to take him home so badly. He is about five months old I would say. He has survived for so long there by himself. I don’t think Mama is in the picture anymore. There was a house on the corner of Parsells and Baldwin that was just demolished, and I pray there were no cats taking shelter inside while they did it.

Around the bend on Webster, the sturdy shelter that Kristin and Darrin built for me out of a coffee table still stands. I am feeding a sweet Red kitty that was missing all winter, I believe the woman Marilee took him in but he is since back out, from down the street where she lives, and waiting for me each morning.

Around the bed on Short I don’t see many kitties but know they love the covered shelter there, and eat the food. I occasionally see a pretty red inside waiting for me to leave so that he can devour.

Around the corner from there is Sixth Street, where a female was just TNR’d last week. There is a family of kitties there, and one is very pregnant. I feel horrible about this. She allowed me this morning to touch the tip of her nose so that she could smell. I can tell she is ready. I am sick over this. I must get spots at the clinic, but it’s a bad week for that as I have to be at work early in the mornings, and work late at night. My job comes first, no matter what.

Around the corner from there is on Pennsylvania and Fourth, where I see two pretty reds, one getting more trusting with me as time goes by.

Around the next corner from there is Third and Central, where I feed Tuffy (who has been around forever, a huge red and white tom) and a white and brown spotted kitty.

Across from there is Central, where I feed a friendly boy in front, and a shy girl behind the vacant house. This is another location that will be taken from me as the bank that owns it will eventually want to sell this property.

Around the corner there is Second, where I feed the sweetest grey on the porch of Frank’s house, he reminds me so much of my Barney, his fur very course, but he is a very sweet boy. He was just neutered last week in our TNR sweep, he and the three others. Behind Paul’s, which is across from Frank’s, are two black kitties and another white with brown spots – of course this is all in the dark. I see another grey and brown tabby too, but again, they hide until I leave.

Around that corner is on Pennsylvania behind the giant’s house (I posted previously about his huge footprints). There are at least three or four that I see lurking in the shadows.

From there I go to my last spot (phew!) which is Seventh. I feed at least three to four kitties there. It’s a good shelter there, nice and warm and dry. No one has trashed this spot since last summer. Knock on wood.

UPDATE: Red/Angel from Seventh, and Lucy, both of which I brought to the stables at the Racetrack two weeks ago, are now free. Red escaped out a window unexpectedly Saturday, but has been seen this morning. I prayed and prayed for him to find his way back when I found out early Sunday morning, and he did. He was spotted this morning. Now Lucy needs to learn this learn how to return to her safe spot too. Prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Lots of prayers for red and Lucy to stay put, Im thinking they might. There would be many rodents in a horse stable, it would reek of mice to the kittys ! I recall forking out stall in a stable early morning one time, and flipping a big sleepy rat out of the dirty straw, into the dung pile with the poop ( I thought the fork was unusally heavy...) hah ha, the cats will luv it. Keep up the good work Janine, may God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pepper is a treat so far. I've had her secluded but with a baby gate blocking the door so everyone can stare and smell each other. LOL I let her free today to mingle and she is way too funny. She's a spunky little thing and loves to run and jump. I thought Pepper was a good name cuz besides her coat she's spicy! LOL

    ReplyDelete