Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Harold and Other Tails

Well, thanks to Laura's help, three kitties were trapped this morning and on their way to the clinic.  She was not sure if two of them were the pregnant ones, I pray they were.  Whether a feral or stray, the fact is that most of those cats have not been sterilized unless trap-neuter-return (TNR) is done.  If not, its those cats that are responsible for the flood of homeless cats and kittens streaming into shelters, which are then are forced to euthanize many adoptable adult cats during kitten season. This season, usually running May to October, forces shelters to euthanize adult cats due to the large number of incoming kittens.  Its terribly sad.  I have always hated the process, but have done it many many times over the years - the part I hate is letting them back out into the wild, but I have turned around and found many of them homes time and time again, eventually.  But I am SO grateful for the amount of cats that have been sterilized under my watch.  There would be hundreds more I would be feeding if not.

The latest on Paddy:  He still has not come out for Lillian, but she knows he ate, and batted a ball around.  I will call her sometime today to hear the latest, and if worst comes to worse, I will go over there after work and sit quietly in her basement and call for him, get him upstairs, and enclose him in a smaller room.  Thanks to all who gave their advice.  I also want to add that Paddy was chosen by Lillian, I don't think it would have been wise to suggest an older cat for her, especially with none there at Petco that day, and I was desperately trying to place at least one of my four kitties that need homes.  She seems in good health and young in spirit, and I believe they will both grow old together, if it works!!!


I wanted to quickly share with you the latest from Harold's new Mom:

Harold - catnapping
"It makes me sad to hear about the "returns"... we adopted Chloe from someone who had had her for 3 years and suddenly couldn't deal with the allergies anymore (I must say, Chloe sheds more than any other cat I have ever had... she has to be awful to be around if you are allergic). But we absolutely love her to death and are so happy to have her. The previous owners' loss is our gain!!


Harold - helping Mom in the office
Anyway... on to Harold... he has been making progress in leaps and bounds!! As you can see in some of the pictures, he sometimes sprawls out on the desk while I am on the computer... he has also been jumping up on the beds more. He doesn't stay for too long... if he hears a noise, or Chloe comes in the room, he jumps down. He is still just skittish... we thought that he wouldn't be scared of anything after living out on the mean streets, but he doesn't like noises or strangers or anything new. We are hoping he will calm down eventually. He finally discovered how much fun the "string on a stick" can be... now he plays with that quite a bit. He loves loves loves his mousies.... he bats them around and flips them in the air and somehow they all end up underneath a bookcase downstairs. Billy fished about 6 of them out the other night, and they were all back under there last night. He plays by himself, and he and Chloe chase each other around... there is an occasional hiss or swat (always from Chloe, never from Harold) but they seem to be having fun. The best news is.... he has not kept me up at night with his lonely chirping for the last two nights!!! I have no idea where he sleeps, but he's not wandering around the house at all hours anymore. He's right there when I wake up; I'm just not sure where he comes from. He really is sweet... just needs to chill out a little more... Brady is quickly becoming his favorite. He is still a little apprehensive around Billy. And I like to think that he loves me the second best! :)

Harold - helping big brother Brady with homework!

One negative note... I noticed last night that he has WORMS! Gahhhh!!! I need to get him to the vet anyway; this will just make me get him there IMMEDIATELY!"

So there you have it.  Thank you Kim, Billy and Brady, for giving Harold a chance!!!

5 comments:

  1. It's all good today Janine, thank you and God bless, for what you, Laura, and your supportwes do for the kittys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful to see Harold settling in. What a wonderful lesson for the children to commit to an animal and see it through. Harold's mom is a nice writer! What a gift to have his story told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad they didn't give up on him. Sometimes all it takes is TIME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harold is one gorgeous boy! I'm so glad that he's settling in and making friends.

    Good job getting those three kitties! Just between the two of you, you're making a huge difference. It's amazing what you and Laura accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic news, story and pics! what a gorgeous boy!I had faith he would be fine- as Linda said, it just takes time! I have one boy who was nasty, nasty, nasty for 6-1/2 MONTHS after i brought him home, before returning to the sweet boy he was towards me when he was still on the street, after I had gained his trust. Now I have to work on getting up the nerve to try to take him to the vet- fearing it will set him back again! We never know what horrors they've been thru to make them act however they do, but hopefully with time and patience they will forget it all. I wish i could thank Harold's mom personally!!
    Carole

    ReplyDelete