Friday, August 23, 2019

TGIF & Happy Endings!

When I first started to rescue cats, since WAY back, its always been adult cats living on the streets that needed rescuing.  Lately, its kittens.  I've had some setbacks this week, and most of them are from kittens.  I actually had a meltdown last night because of it.  I've got some sick kittens, and I feel bad that I didn't do more, although I don't know how I could do more - there are so many what ifs...  and then it comes down to money.  Right now I am facing $2K in vet bills.  AND no fundraisers this year.  People just don't understand, you can't test them all for everything, and still ask for a measly $120 in adoption fees.  So much money comes out of my own pocket before you get your little one.  For myself, I just have to trust that visibly, they are ok, and get them combo tested, first worm treatment, and deflead.  You can't run blood tests, fecal tests, etc. on each kitten you take in, I just couldn't rescue all that I have already if I did that.  I'm doing the best that I can.  With my own cats, and the ones I foster.  I thank God for the fosters I have - luckily they have not had very sick kittens!  Somehow, I get them all!  It started with Junebug!  Junebug came from very bad situation, she had a gazillion worms.  When you don't know the history of the mother cat, you just can't know. 

So, I am doing the best I can.

On a happier note to end a very bad week for me, my little Steve, who I fed in a shelter for close to two years on Seventh Street, was recently rescued, fostered and adopted.  Here are the latest pictures of a very very happy ending...  his new mom and dad love him very much.

"He's turned into the sweetest little snuggle bug, exploring everywhere Mom and Dad are.  He loves to climb in bed and snuggle up on the couches.  He's quickly taken over our household, that's for sure... - After long deliberation, we've decided to call him Captain, as he's quickly become the captain of our little household.  He took a couple of hours to hide but he's been walking about and snuggling up since then.  Thank you so much for bringing him to us, he's won over both of mine and Allen's hearts for sure."







Have a great day!

“Take life day by day
and be grateful
for the little things.

Don’t get caught up
in what you can’t control. 
Accept it and make the best of it.”


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all you do and have done over the many years for these animals.
    Without YOU and your team of volunteers and helpers these cats would have NO chance of getting off the streets or even getting a simple nutritious meal each day.
    I cannot imagine what kind or fortitude or the amount of sacrifice it takes to perform all of the acts of kindness that you do. I can only stand in awe of it - and be grateful that someone cares enough to do so ....

    :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! You are amazing. This is also why I insisted on covering Chance's costs while in your care - so you would be no further behind for having helped him (and he was a mess and also had ALL the worms!). You graciously offered to cover missed vaccines due to his health but at that point he was mine and his care is now my responsibility.
    Keep going Janene! And everyone out here, let's keep supporting her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't beat yourself up too badly over not having every test or whatever done for every kitten. Remember-tests don't cure anything, and in many cases do nothing more than fatten the practitioner's pocket. I am several thousand dollars in credit card debt due to vet bills for my cats and can honestly say that about 90% of that was wasted money on treatment that didn't work. The most glaring example of this is a cat I took in for a "dental" and got back with permanent damage to his tempero-mandibular joint. He can now only eat baby food or pureed food or liquid and has to be fed from a spoon as he can only eat tiny amounts at one time. All this for over $1600. Then they wanted to do an MRI for $2000 to try to figure out what happened. So just do your best, as I know you do, because spending tons of money won't guarantee any better outcome.

    ReplyDelete