Thursday, August 8, 2019

Skunked!




I see a gazillion skunks every day while out doing my rounds in the wee hours of the morning.  A gazillion.  But not once have I seen one walking around with a bottle stuck to its head.  I was on Fourth and Pennsylvania, pouring food for the beautiful sweet polydactyl black cat under the tree, and I looked over and saw this skunk wandering, and obviously could not see a thing.  I finished up with the cat, and decided to take my chance and try to help the little guy.  I walked over quietly, and it almost seemed like he was walking toward me for help!  Without thinking, and within a split second, I grabbed the bottle that was stuck very tight to its head, and pulled, tugging so much that it lifted him right off the ground, and pop!  Off came this drink container from his little head.  He was so stunned I think that he just froze.  And I backed off very carefully, quickly hightailing it out of there.  Good deed done.  Eh?

I also had a trap set for the Tortie on Fourth Street.  That was the first thing I did this morning before beginning my rounds.  This cat is just too smart.  I did the entire back half of the route, and went to collect, and nothing.  Just the little red kitten was still hanging around, hungry, but no dice for the trap.  Very upsetting knowing another cat will have its kittens outdoors. 

The cat on Melville, that was pregnant, and the morning I was going to grab her, she was gone, until two weeks later when she showed up last Saturday, very thin, and hungry.  I have no idea where she had her kittens.  You would think she had them in the safety and comfort of the shelters in the back of the lot, but no.  She is still there each morning, thin and hungry.



There is a new white cat on Garson that is pregnant. I saw her yesterday, and drove off knowing it was not the right thing to do, but I felt I didn’t have a choice at that moment. It was not a day I could get her into the clinic for spaying, and it bothered me all day.  Now, this morning, I planned on grabbing her as well as Steve, but she was not there.  I will try every day for her now.   We cannot have any more kittens on this earth!



Speaking of Steve, I rescued ANOTHER cat this morning. I rescued the cat I’ve been feeding for well over a year now.  I’ve told this cat that he was next, and I told him that over and over, after each time I rescued another cat.  He is so sweet, but there was always a more desperate cat to rescue and so he remained.  Well, finally, I had the opportunity now that Brady went to his new home and Foster Mom Gaye had an empty room.  She said, ‘go get him’, and so I did.  Say hello to Steve!  He will go to clinic today to be neutered and vaccinated, and good to go after that!

Have a great day!

"Be strong enough to let go
and wise enough to wait
for what you deserve."

2 comments:

  1. AWWW !
    Thanks helping "Little Stinker" this morning !
    That was a wonderful thing to do !
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that in other words what Joel said.

      You never cease to Amaze Cat Angel!

      Delete