Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Hump Day! Hooray!



Smudgy Miranda


Meet Smudgy Miranda.  Look at this little grey smudge on her nose.  I received a call from the vet's office yesterday telling me that she was micro chipped!  They called the company for information on the owner, but she was not registered.  They told me that I should not return her to the streets, because she was a sweet sweet kitty.  They even told me that if I could not find a home for her, they would help me.  Wow.  So, here I have this sweet, yet dirty little girl in my bathroom waiting for a home.  She was given all her shots, dewormed, leukemia tested, Advantage flea med, and she is now good to go.  I do not know how she will do with other cats or dogs, but as we all know, it will either happen quickly, or take time, but they eventually all get along.  Someone just has to give her time and patience.  I would say she is young, perhaps between 1-2 years old. 

Smudgy came from a not so nice street near Parsells Avenue.  She was out each morning waiting for me to place food by the side of the road, whether it was raining or not, she was always there at 4:15 am.  I do not believe anyone is looking for her.  There are no signs up around there, and she is thin, and dirty.  I have seen people adopt from RAS (Rochester Animal Services) only to let the cat out again.  Its happening on Hayward, the red kitty I trapped last year, only to have the clinic call to tell me the cat was already neutered, micro chipped, and belonged to the woman across the street.  When I spoke to her about me trapping the cat, and that it should be indoors, she couldn't have cared less.  That cat is now on Garson hungrily awaiting me each morning.

Speaking of Hayward, the pervert who allowed me to feed on the side of his rental property has what I left of my shelter there - some wood, and a pallet, including the bowls of food I left for the cats there, to the side of the road for trash pick up today.  I can't tell you how creepy this guy is.  If I could only have taped some of our conversations, you would have applauded me for my acting skills - what I won't do to help these animals.  Well, I know what I wouldn't do, but you really have to bite the bullet sometimes and put up with things you wouldn't normally put up with. 

I had to let Frank, the other kitty I trapped and had neutered yesterday, back onto the street this morning.  I had to let him back at Ferndale and Webster, where Crazy Mary or Marilee lives just down the road.  Its the worst feeling in the world to have to return a cat to the streets.  Frank was not feral, just scared.  He hesitated a bit when he walked out of the trap, and then trotted off.  I haven't seen Marilee in two days, but she is still throwing away the food after I leave it for the cats.  I can't tell you - how is it that there are two mentally ill women that don't live too far apart, and they don't want me to feed these animals.  I just don't get it - how their minds work.


Frisco/Purrty/ ZEN?




UPDATE ON FRISCO/PURRTY:  "Day 2 and Frisco is doing great. My daughter called me when she got home from school yesterday to tell me how when she came in he was laying all stretched out and relaxed on the couch. She sat with him petting him and he liked it. She said later he went to my room and slept on my bed with 3 other cats so appears he is adjusting to the others well.

He has been playing with toys this morning and likes having the run of the place so I say it was a great fit for him ;)  He is a gem I gotta say. He is very relaxed and laid back.  Already made himself at home a bit like Webster coming into the mix.  My husband told me yesterday my oldest cat of the bunch Miss Boo Boo my high maintenance tuxedo who has liked no other cat so far and spits in their faces when meeting them.  Walked up him and went nose to nose no spitting or hissing so that was amazing.

So far everyone has gone nose to nose with no problems. Webster gets a little vocal which is funny as he is so not a fighter.  I think I want to name him Zen as he is very Zen like and I told my hubby once at 10 you go Zen with one more..haha"

I need to count how many cats I've rescued and adopted out so far this year.  Kristin gave me a number, but I had had a glass of wine or two when she told me so I've forgotten already.  I don't retain numbers well when I have a little wine.  :)  I believe it is over 20, and maybe just under 30, or could it be more.  Pretty impressive if I do say so myself, for a girl that does not belong to a rescue group who have the luxury of being able to show their kitties at pet places like Petco/Petsmart, etc.  I owe much of my success to this blog, because without it, I wouldn't have met most of you, and had you for adopters/fosters.  Thank you for helping me to help them!




Make it a GREAT day!



"When you were born, you cried
and the world rejoiced.  Live your life
so that when you die, the world cries
and you rejoice."   

5 comments:

  1. Hey Janine! You have TNR's 28 cats this year and rescued (found homes for) an additional 18-20. And the summer is just beginning. AMAZING. I cannot tell you how happy I am for Frisco and how thankful I am to the family that adopted him. They sound wonderful and I think Zen is a great name for him. Happy, happy happy!!! -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that kitties nose and tail, very striking. Looks like a really sweet cat! Hope things work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. would an advertisment in the local paper help find smudge his familly , gorgeous kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RAS and Lollypop might keep a record of what cat got what microchip number. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smudgy is so pretty! My vet's office registered the boys' microchip numbers for me. Too bad whoever gave Smudgy her chip didn't do the same. :(
    I'm so thrilled for Frisco! He looks like he's in seventh heaven, especially in that last photo.

    ReplyDelete