Tuesday, September 4, 2012

School Daze

Its been an awesome four days since I was at work, and since I got on the computer.  The computer is the last thing I want to get on when I am home.  There are a million and one things to do that I need to get done, therefore, my blog suffers. 

I called my sister yesterday and wished her a happy Labor Day, and she replied it was funeral day for her.  She is a teacher and was dreading going back to work/school.  Its not that she doesn't love her career, but she does love to sleep, and sleeping is her game.  My sister would roll out of bed when she felt like it, all summer, most times not before 9:30 or 10:00 am.  She could then go downstairs, have a leisurely breakfast, and then go float in her pool all day if thats all she felt like doing.  I kept reminding her she was going to have (as was my mother's favorite line) 'a rude awakening.'  Well Karen, welcome back to the working world.  :)

Each morning was as usual, I had the moonlight on my side all weekend, and no rain.  I chased many raccoons, some had to be prodded with sticks to get them to move, and I have no doubt that they snickered to themselves and came back to eat up the food as soon as they heard my car drive away.

I ran into the hooker that had a baby last year.  She pushes him around in a stroller, and does her tricks on the side.  She runs to me when she sees me, I don't know, for some reason she loves me.  She seems like she takes care of the little boy, but if it were in my power, he wouldn't be with her.  I remember last year I called 911 after witnessing her close to giving birth and being downright drunk on the streets at 5:30 in the morning.  I asked if it were illegal to be drunk when that pregnant.  They did send the police, as she was being disorderly and loud, but who knows if anything was done.

I was thinking this morning about all the stops I make, and all the cats sitting there waiting for me.  If just one person on each of the streets I feed at would offer to feed and shelter these cats the way I do, it would make such a difference on my life.  It would only take one person.  I would provide a shelter or two for each person, I would even provide the food!  It takes a toll on me each and every day, and my pockets are emptier than they were before I started this, and believe me, they were close to empty back then.  There is a neighborhood coalition for the Beachwood section that meets the first Thursday of the month, and it would be great to attend one of the meetings, to speak, be heard, and get help.  But I think cats are the least of their concerns.  They are a low priority in this country for most people, especially for most poor neighborhoods.  I can only hope. 

The kittens in my possession are as sweet as can be.  Mommy Vanessa and her two babies, and little Butters.  Mommy Vanessa was fixed last week, and Butters is getting to the age where he will need to be neutered.  Thats going to be another cost I didn't factor into when I rescued him that early weekday morning, after snatching him from the street, and bathing the sweet flea infested boy.  I ask that all of you ask around to your friends and family for a chance that Butters and the two baby kittens, and even their mom can have a chance for a good life with a family.  I need to move them out of my already crowded house.  I will have updated photos of them soon, but please check out the recent past posts to see their pictures.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Janine, what a story today !!! this weekend my hubby took me down there, as I was not convinced that it was as unsafe as he told me, ( i want to help ) and it was baadd ! I really am afraid for you and the kitties, I saw one pretty black and white cat on the corner of Parnell, he looked fit but their were people and kids around, not one took any notice of him, they were loitering and milling across the road infront of the cars. You have taken on an epic task, I spoke to a friend (cop) about the area, and just got a shoulder shrug and " at least they are all together down there, bestkept that way". So I cant see any help coming your way, but I continue to think of you and the kitties. Maree

    ReplyDelete