Thursday, September 20, 2012

Spiders, Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

It was a brisk cold morning here in Rochester – I still put on my shorts (I refuse to give up summer), but pulled out a long sleeved top from my drawer to ward off the chill that was in the air.    This morning, I went about distributing some straw that a lovely woman I’ve met who is Australian, Maree, brought over to me the other day along with some homemade shelters her husband made out of those really nice coolers.  He is in the hotel industry, and apparently people leave all kinds of stuff, and he had these and cut out holes, and they are already insulated, so voila!  More shelters for the kitties!  I also picked up a large tall wooden dresser (drawerless) from the curb yesterday, and brought that to the back of the lot where I feed Sparkles and Limpy #2 (who does not limp anymore) for shelter.  I layed it on the ground, empty drawer side down, and slid in a board on top of the slats, and threw some of the straw in that.  It will be a very cozy shelter for one or two kitties, although there is a large opening at the top, which I have to figure out.  For now though, on these cool days, I hope they find it warm and inviting.  I also placed some straw in the new hut on Short Street that Bob built for me.  I am hoping at least a kitty can squeeze in there, but I will have to get more shelter there, as there are five kitties there depending on the food.  This morning there was a black baby, a black/copper mama (who I believe has been fixed), a black and white year old (most likely male), an orange, and a striped tabby that is very talkative.  These are the regulars, although not daily.

I still need to get shelters at many of my spots, and I have a good start, thanks to Bob, Kristin and Maree.  Sad to say, the ones that were donated to me last year have been destroyed.  I left a message on the porch of the Latino man next door to the lot where I feed on Seventh Street yesterday morning and it said ‘Please bring the board you said you have to the lot like you promised me.  Janine.’  He didn’t.  I will have to go knocking on his door during the day on my lunch because if I can get a board from him, maybe it will stop whoever is taking them, as he is just next door, and remember Maria had said she thought it was one of this guy’s friend taking the boards, although I have a feeling its been him all along.  Who knows.  Would iove to place a camera there.   Maria has one board left and is moving this week or next so I need to get it from her soon.  I just don’t want to place it back there and have someone take it. 

Mr. Kitty was waiting for me again this morning.  He is such a good boy and would make someone a great pet.  He had his ear tipped on Tuesday at Lollipop and was let back Wednesday morning.  He’s had his shots, so he is ready for a home.    The female I harbored overnight Tuesday after her surgery at Lollipop, and had to let go yesterday morning back into the hood, was not around this morning.  I actually have never seen her before, but she obviously knows where the food stash is, and is also now spayed.  That’s a good thing.  I must get a shelter to this location also.  There are about four or five cats here. 

It’s the season for spiders.  They are out everywhere.  I am posting a picture of one I took from two years ago on Niagara Street.  I had to step around this gigantic air-breathing arthopod for weeks until it went away.  I actually am fascinated with spiders, and bugs of all kinds, but they still creep me out!   The first time I ever went to Australia, I encountered one of the creepiest spiders – the Huntsman Spider. 

I had the willies for weeks!  Another memorable experience with spiders was when I was half asleep, and felt something crawling across my face.  I slapped my face trying to get whatever it was off, and turned on the light, only to find the most hairiest, grossest spider ever!  I saved it and called an entomologist who confirmed that it was NOT a wolf spider, like I thought it was.   Lastly, I remember being in the Texas outback years ago for a work sales meeting, and I had left the screen open to a little balcony, and that night I saw some of the largest Daddy Long Legs I’ve ever seen. 

Well, that picture is stretching it a bit, but they seriously were the size of my hand, no lie!  I knew they were harmless, but talk about creepy!  Thinking they were crawling on me during my sleep!  Hows that for a creepy ending?  J  Have a great, bug-free day!

3 comments:

  1. Great stories! Hate spiders, especially finding webs in my bedroom during the day.....what goes on at night!! EEK.
    By the way that font is much harder to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEWWW! Thanks for creeping me out! LOL By the way, you didn't mention Maryann when we were talking on the phone so i think I was riiiggghtt! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice and informative blog, keep it up buddy…Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete