Monday, September 24, 2012

20 Pounds

That’s how much dry food I am using on a daily basis for the homeless kitties. Think about that. To me, its astounding. And that is just pouring platefuls here and there. At my first stop, its four paper plates full, at the next, its one plus a small paper salad bowl, at the next, its three platefuls, at the next, its three small bowls, at the next, it’s a bowl and a plate, and on and on. Four is the most I fill, but its usually how many cats I am feeding that I am filling up a bowl or plate. Some of them have to share. On top of their dry food, I plop a little wet. I am using around 19 Friskie-sized cans per day also. And that is just a small bit for these cats. Some may say that is spoiling them, but you know what, if you had to live in the conditions that these cats do, why not. Do you know how many cats are now following me back to my car? I have one that I pick up and hold, let him purr, scratch him gently, and have to put him back out. I feel terrible when I drive away. I have one cat that runs after my car. I have to stop at the corner to place a bowl of food down for him because he has too much competition at the previous spot where he was waiting for me. Its heartbreaking.


I distributed some cat shelters that folks have made for me. Thank you Bob and your friend that helped you build the hut, and thank you Maree and Joe. I also had some donated large cat carriers that were slightly broken, I added some straw into them, and covered them with a towel to keep the wind out of the vents on the side. I always face the openings towards the east, as most storms come from the west. I will be continuing to add shelters as I go along, there are many that are needed. Kristin has been holding two at her place until I need them. Thank you Kristin and Darrin. And thank you Jill for proving boards for me that I will get from Nancy this week. They will make great coverings to help keep the wind, snow or rain out. Keep in mind, there are an average of three or four cats per stop that I make, that’s average. Some shelters are just too small to hold more than one, so I need more. I will continue to assess my spots and keep you informed.


Scooter, Pumpkin, Butters
 On the homefront, I look at little Butters, Vanessa, and two babies, and think to myself, oh how lucky you are. And Vanessa’s babies would not have made it outside. They are tiny delicate creatures that would have no natural defenses to protect themselves. And Vanessa would be on her next pregnancy for sure. I wish someone would adopt or foster them. Its so crowded in my house with these extra babies. Butters has really gotten under my skin. He is so cuddly and sweet, and saunters right up to my face at night and cuddles in. And Vanessa’s two babies have a hard time getting up on my bed, they are so little, and when you hear them trying, and sliding back down, you just have to pick them up and place them on the bed. They love to sleep with me too. So sweet. I took some pictures – its really hard to tell how little these kittens are but in person, they are still tiny and so fragile.  Be sure to click on the pictures to zoom in a bit!


Magic
 
Pumpkin

Vanessa

Pumpkin Butter!



 "Nothing is worth more than this day."  (AMEN).

2 comments:

  1. Oh Janine....what sweet pixs. They really are adorable. Thank God you got them off the streets. Wish I knew someone who would take a kitty (or two). Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little orange kitty looked so sad in the first pics. of him, but my, how he has changed since you came into his life, he would love to have his very own person...... M.

    ReplyDelete