Thursday, November 1, 2018

Fostering

BORIS

MIKE

WHITEY

I read something that someone posted on my Facebook page yesterday that I just loved.  A girl was offering to foster kittens, and I mentioned that I didn’t need kitten fosters, I needed adult fosters.  This other person is actually someone that took in one of my hard-to-place rescues, Peaches, and has kept him as her own.  Now that is not to say that he would never have been adopted by someone else, but she just didn’t want to give him up!    The girl offering stated she only wanted to foster kittens because she was afraid she would get too attached to an older cat.  So Sue wrote:  "kittens become cats within a few months- please realize that inside an adult cat is always a kitten until they are very old. Give it a try- it will be very rewarding."

I just loved that.  And its true!  My old cats STILL play!  And they probably want to be held and cuddled more than a kitten does.  Please consider fostering an older cat.  Its so rewarding to know you are saving the life of a cat, and helping one to not suffer on the streets this winter.

The Facebook online auction begins tonight at 8 pm.  There are SO MANY fabulous items.  Thank you SO much to those of you that made a donation to help this auction be successful so that I may comfortably continue to feed and shelter and get these cats in the Beechwood section of Rochester spayed and neutered.  The less reproduction, the less I have to feed.

PARSLEY
And speaking of feeding, I was thinking about this as I drove from spot to spot this morning at 4 a.m. on the dark city streets.  If every one of my friends donated a bag of cat food, it would probably allow me to not have to pay for cat food for a year!  Let’s take for instance Facebook.  I think I have close to 900 friends on Facebook.  If 900 people donated a 16 pound bag (I go through 40 pounds a day), well, that’s a lot of food.  (J  My math is not very good, so we will stop that right there – ha ha!)
I do need food, both wet and dry.  I have found that the cats are very picky eaters.  They are not fond of Meow Mix dry, nor 9 Lives dry.  They like KitnKaboodle, or any Purina brand, which I’ve actually found the KitnKaboodle to be the cheapest. Although the REALLY cheap food, like Barn Cat, they won’t even touch.  Not even the raccoons will touch that.   The wet food is like gold to these cats.  I try to provide something for them, even if its just a dollop, as they have nothing else in their lives. 



HERMIE


The man that fostered Buddy, who will be adopted, has stated he will take another after Buddy goes to his new home next weekend.  Its SO hard to choose, there are just so many that are worthy of rescue.  So many.  Such a difficult decision.  How do you choose who you save next?  This is why I need more fosters – I won’t have to choose.  I can just save them all, one day at a time.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

"Among the things in my life
I thank God for most,
is the love
He gave me for animals.
My heart would be emptier,
and life would be
less without them."


No comments:

Post a Comment