Monday, August 12, 2013

Another Doosey...

Of a weekend…  so I go to release the two females I trapped and neutered Friday morning from the clinic that afternoon, and after dropping off the first one – well, let me explain the first one before I go on…  I got out at Baldwin Street and made sure there was full food and water for the kitty I was about to release from the trap, and I then let the little girl (Edna) out, only to see her take off like a rocket across the street.  As I was standing there, I turned around and saw an older black woman marching toward me.  Long story short, she had noticed me for several months, wondered ‘who is this white girl – is she breeding cats here?’ – a little ignorant, but I guess anything is possible?  I told her what I was doing and how I was actually helping out her neighborhood.  After a while, I convinced GAIL that I was doing good, and she wholeheartedly gave the the thumbs up for doing what I was doing.  She was monitoring this area because she wanted to keep it safe for the neighborhood kids to play in.  So, I made a new friend there.  On to my next stop on Central near Fifth.   Before I let the kitty out, I saw a large group of people on the porch next door, and walked over to them to explain what I was doing, and that I wasn’t dumping a cat there.  As I was talking to them, I looked down, and there was a tiny baby kitten, barely three-four weeks old, just lying there, it looked dead to me.  I told them I had to take it and help it.  They had no problem with it, and told me there were two more inside just like it.  I did all I could for that moment, and I went and released the kitty, that they called “Snickers”, and raced back home with the dying kitten and a promise to this group of people that I would be back in the morning to get the other two they mentioned.  I got home, and revived this flea covered, eye crusted girl in the sink with a bath, and then wrapped her gently in a towel, applied ointment to her eyes, and prayed for the best.  She just lay there, motionless. 

In the meantime, I was frantic to get out of the house to drive a ways to a concer that I had tickets to, and friends were meeting me, and I had the tickets.  Needless to say, I wish I didn’t go to that concert, but I did, and on the way made a million calls to people, and finally, my friend Kristin offered to have her mother go to my house, and get the kitten.  She did, she brought it home, gave it some formula, and voila!  Here is the result!

There is so much more to this weekend, but I just had to share this with you quickly, and get to work!  Have a great day!!!

"Maturity is not when we start speaking big things.  It is when we start appreciating the small things."


  1. That kitten....I am a HUGE puddle of mush on the floor. Omgosh, omgosh, omgosh....

    Another precious life saved by you, Janine. You are my hero.

  2. She's adorable!!! I agree, you ARE a hero, Janine.

  3. What kind of people could just sit there and wacth one of God's babies die before their eyes. I hope Karma gets them.

  4. Janine, you are unbelievable - such an incredible person. Such a cutie kitten....very lucky you happened to talk to those 'people'. Nancy C.