Monday, May 20, 2019

Gotcha!


It was a weekend full of highs and lows.  On Friday, we took the two bottle babies back – remember, one - Rocky – had passed away last week.  Two others went to another rescue.  Of the two I got back, a grey and a black one, the grey was struggling to eat.  On Sunday morning, I knew we needed help.  I called a kitten rescue to see if they could take these two in and help them along.  We brought them to her, and as of last night, I was told the little grey may not make it.  Sure enough, I just received word – he didn’t.   I am so heartbroken over this.  That poor little one struggled so hard for the three weeks of life he lived.  This is sometimes so sad this business of rescue.  For those not in rescue, you don’t even realize whats going on in the animal world, the suffering that happens.  Those of us in rescue, we see it all. 



On Sunday morning, when Kings and I went out to feed (me just driving of course) (and Kings half asleep from being up all night with crying kittens wanting to be fed), I had him take a picture of the kittens inside the shelter on Webster Avenue.  Sure enough, as I suspected, I could see at least one kitten had an eye issue.  Eyes sealed shut.  I knew we had to act.  I called Kristin, my buddy, and she immediately agreed to come over and we would rescue them, whether they were wearned from their mom or not, and so we did.  I sat in the truck and watched her reach in four times, and each time pull out a kitten.  She looked around a fifth tme to be sure there were no more.  When she brought them back to the car, we could NOT BELIEVE HOW CLEAN AND ADORABLE they were.  Mom kitty did a great job with them. 






This morning, Kings and Joel went out to feed and trap.  I had two spots at the clinic available for me.  We set one trap on Parsells #3 where I have noticed some uneartipped kitties.  The other trap was set for Momma kitty on Webster Avenue.  Bing bang boom.  Got her.  We think.  My dilemma, do I put mom with her kittens after she is spayed today, or do we just let her back out and wean the kittens ourselves.  If we put Mom in with kittens, and she is feral, we then have to take her away from her kittens again, and that makes me so very sad.  Between a rock and a hard place here. 



Petunia’s kittens had meet and greets this weekend as well.  One girl wants to adopt Buckie, the other girl is considering two – not sure which she wants.   Blue is spoken for at the moment, by my one niece who lost her sister who was nicknamed Blue.  You all remember Samantha, my beautiful niece, who died over a year ago, at age 20.  So Blue is very special right now, and we will see if my niece goes through with the adoption process.

Ariel also received some interested by someone.  She will be going to meet her this week some evening after work.  Pray that goes well.  Ariel and her kittens are scheduled for spay/neuter on June 3rd.

So, again, it was a very hectic weekend.  We  have yet to name all the kittens form Webster Avenue – and are sticking to W names.  We have MANY choices – just have to commit to them!  One for sure is Winky.  Thats Kristin's car's name.  HA!  By the way, little Winky has no tail!  Can you believe it, born without a tail!  Their eyes were good this morning, after foster mom Kristin treated them and wiped them clean.  So, I think we’ve escaped the horrors of having to deal with eye issues, which are prevalent in kittens born outdoors.

That’s it for now.

Have a great day!

“The timeless in you is aware of life's timelessness. And knows that yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream.”

2 comments:

  1. Please give this information to the foster of Rocky's siblings:

    "The Importance of Colostrum for Puppies and Kittens

    Colostrum has powerful life-supporting immune and growth factors that ensure the health and vitality of the newborn puppy or kitten.

    If an animal is orphaned and mom's milk isn't an option, colostrum substitutes provide the newborn's gut with proteins that can help fight viruses or bacteria."

    Colostrum substitutes can be bought at Tractor Supply Company for about $12 (in a plastic pouch).
    Goat colostrum is better for kittens, but cow colostrum will also work for kittens and puppies.

    https://www.revivalanimal.com/pet-health/colostrum/learning-center

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the Webster Ave. kittens are raised with their mom, then she can feed, and help to socialize the kittens.

    Holistic veterinarian Dr. Judy Morgan recommends that newborn kittens stay with their moms until they are at least 8 weeks old. "But 10 is even better."

    https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/blogs/4-ways-know-if-your-kitten-was-taken-away-its-mother-too-soon

    ReplyDelete