Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Winston aka Buddy



Buddy was a kitten that I rescued from Grand Avenue back in 2011 - one of my first of many rescues! - and he was adopted out in spring of 2012 to just the nicest family.  

Here is what I posted in March of 2012:


In yesterday's post, I mentioned Buddy, Rufus and Me.  Last Friday I was presented with the opportunity of someone wanting a cat under a year.  Well, Buddy fit that bill.  This couple were looking for a companion for their female two year old cat.   With much hesitation, due to the fact that I have fallen in love with Buddy, and he is best friends with Rufus, I brought him over and left him.  I felt terrible.  Usually, when I rescue, the cats pretty much immediately go to their new homes.  But with Buddy and Rufus, and Midnight and Buster, I've had for a few months now, and of course you become attached.  I hope and pray, and am told by his new Mommy, that he is doing well, and slowly adjusting.  But how does Buddy feel?  Can cats have separation anxiety?  Do they feel grief?  I have noticed Rufus is not his old self.  He used to run like a madcat around the house, and he isn't doing that anymore.  The two of them were terrors together.  I do hope that Buddy is adjusting, and that Rufus will get his old mojo back.  Only time will tell.  I will keep you posted on progress for both. 

Last week I received the following from her adoptive mom:

"Hello Janine, 


It is with a VERY heavy heart that I am writing this email. My eyes are swollen from all the crying.  We recently learned that Winton has cancer, it came in as a form of a small lump in his abdomen, and now it has spread.  We gave him the meds recommended by the vet, but sadly the cancer lymphoma. This is one of the hardest decisions I've had to make but I know it's best for him.

Winston came to us to keep Magic company, their love/hate relationship blossomed over the years. She protected and irritated him all at once. I am sure Magic will miss him too. 

Thank you for bringing him into my life, my precious boy. I loved him since the day I met him, he always greeted me at the door, he loved being outside with me chasing squirrels or chipmunks and was may sunshine during some dark 2020 days. 

I share some pictures with you."












"To everyone going through anything struggle or pain right now, keep your head up, and keep smiling.  God heals all."

Four Feet in Heaven

Your favorite chair is vacant now,
no eager purrs to greet me, 
no softly padded paws to run
ecstatically to meet me.

No coaxing rubs, no plaintive cry
Will say its time for feeding..
I've put away your bowl
And all the things you won't be needing.

But I will miss you little friend
for I could never measure
the happiness you brought to me.
The comfort and the pleasure.

And since God put you here to share
in earthly joy and sorrow,
I'm sure there'll be a place for you
in Heaven's bright tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Winston's Family,

    Karon and I extend our profound condolences to each of you for the devastating loss of your precious boy Winston.

    You gave Winston an exceptional life and he undoubtedly loved every minute of it. Rest assured your boy Winston is in Kitty Heaven bragging to his playmates that he had the best human family and sister(Magic).

    Winston would not want you guys to be too sad for too long. Instead Winston says "give Magic some extra hugs and kisses from me".

    You are all in our thoughts and prayers during your time of sorrow.


    Sincerely,
    Walt & Karon Simoni

    ReplyDelete