Monday, December 16, 2019

FEED A CAT FOR CHRISTMAS!!! HOLLY and RORY!

Sunday Morning Breakfast


Thank you Holly and Rory for feeding a cat for Christmas!  Holly and Rory are adopting Peaches!  She will be a surprise for their eight year old daughter.  Christmas morning.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall.  I met this nice couple yesterday, who came by to visit Peaches, after knowing about what happened to her.  They needed good news, and a kitten cuddle.  Holly's dad passed away the night before.  Heart-breaking.   Life is so fragile.  I am blessed for each day that passes, that I still have my mom.  I won't know what to do without her.   Thank you Holly and Rory for helping me to feed all the hungry cats this morning.  There were so many, and so many needing homes right now.


BUSTER 💔

First and foremost, today I say goodbye to my sweet angel Buster.  Buster came from Grand Avenue way back when.  Miss B. was evicted from her house and left her cats behind.  Buster and Midnight were both taken in by me, and Buster was adopted by Wally, Miss B’s former neighbor and friend who lived on Grand. Wally had too many people coming in and out the door, and so was Buster, in and out.  I put the kibosh on that and took her back home.  She was a very independent cat, tolerant of no others.  She loved to eat, and sleep.  That was it.  Buster began to lose weight months ago, and today, she is a skeleton.  I had the appointment scheduled for her, but she ate something I mixed up for her and used the scratching post, so I canceled the appointment.  She was still eating!  But after this weekend, its time.  She can barely stand on her little feet.  God, I am going to miss you Buster.

It was a tough weekend all around.  The five kittens I am caring for are now four kittens.  Friday morning, I woke at my usual 2:45 am. to go out and feed the cats in the Beechwood section of Rochester, which is what I have done every single day for 20 years now.  I could hear the kittens crying for their food from the playpen in the living room that they were placed in each night to keep them together and safe.  I got their food ready, brought it in and set it down.  There were four kittens gathering around the plate.  I looked over and saw Peaches soundly sleeping, or was she.  I immediately picked her up and her body was lifeless. But she was still alive, faintly crying.  I drove 80 miles an hour to the vet, all the while talking to her and touching her little body.  I ran her in, the workers there took her back, and I was a hot mess.  The doctor came in and said that she stopped breathing but still had a heart rate.  They were injecting her with whatever it is, trying to get her sugar level up, which was deathly low.   The doctor said, she probably wouldn’t make it.  I sat there, thinking about this precious little life, and how would I tell the adopter, who I wrote an email to ask her to call me.   In what seemed like an eternity, I heard the faint sound of a kitten cry.  I thought, hmmm… maybe they have other animals they are treating.  Sure enough, the doctor came in and said ‘she’s fine.’  ‘She is up, alert, and eating food.’  To me, a miracle had just happened.  I was never so grateful to this doctor, and her techs, that were surrounding Peaches – the doctor asked if I would like to come back to see her.  WE don’t know what happened, but I was instructed to feed her every few hours – maybe she wasn’t getting enough food during mealtime, maybe her siblings were eating her portion of the food.  I was leaving kibble freely for them during the day, but not giving them wet kitten food.  She was very thin.  I brought her home and prayed she would be OK.  I was almost afraid to go to sleep that night.

Pickles and Peaches resting on George!

The next morning, at 2:45 am., the same thing, I could hear the hunger cries, but this time, it was Pepper laying there lifeless in the crib.  I raced, once again, on the deserted dark highway to the emergency clinic in Brighton.  Sobbing my eyes out, thinking, how can this happen again???  She was making little cries the entire way there, so I thought the same thing, a miracle would happen again.  They just have to give her glucose.  I even said this as I handed his little body over to them when I arrived.  The doctor came in later and said that he was not breathing on his own, they had him on a respirator.  They said that there was surely major neurological damage, and he wouldn’t make it. We decided best thing to remove the respirator and let him pass.  I was devastated.  How could this happen?  I was advised to take the remaining four to a regular vet to have them all examined and have their vitals checked.  I made the appointment that day, at Cats and Critters.  What wonderful people there.  The doctor and vet tech took their time with each kitten and checked them thoroughly.  No sign of pan leuk, no symptoms for anything.  Peanut and Peaches were given fluids, and they were sent home with instructions to fatten them up – KMR added to their wet food which should be given every few hours.  This was Saturday.  Saturday night I woke every few hours to check on them.  They were alive!  They were alive this morning!  And thriving!  I have no idea what happened, but I shall feed them until they burst.  This morning they were running around like little hellions.

PEPPER (Rest in Peace little one)
I delivered MARTEN to a new home on Friday, and Saturday morning I delivered Jax and Squeaky to their new home.  I will be going back to see Snowflake this weekend, as I was none too pleased about the condition of the house, nor the lack of basic kitten food.  I could tell I was going to break her heart if I left there with the kitten.  I wanted to give her a chance.  I wound up driving her to the store to get kitten food.  I will be making changes to my rules for adoption – you must have a clean house, and you must have everything set up before I arrive with the kitten.  That’s pretty simple.  I told the woman that this was a trial period and I would be back.  I am not happy.  Jax and Squeaky went to a beautiful home, and I am very pleased. 

There is so much more, but I must be off to work.

Have a great day!

"If you love life, don't waste 
time, for time is what life is 
made up of."


2 comments:

  1. Janine so sorry about Buster and Pepper .

    ReplyDelete
  2. what happened to Joel's comment about checking carbon monoxide level in house? It's a good idea but the comment disappeared. Something's happening with those kittens.

    ReplyDelete