Monday, December 2, 2019

I Need a VACATION!


Melville Red
Wow, five days off from work, and I am exhausted.  Wonder why that is.  KITTENS!  That’s why!  I am having a hard time keeping up with all the applications.  I need help. 

I remember the days that I didn’t worry about this stuff.  I didn’t rescue kittens.  I rescued adult cats and moved them along quickly.  Right now I have 31 cats (that’s mostly kittens) under my wing, and I need to get them adopted.   Kittens are adorable, but they take away from the adult cats still on the streets, still suffering, that are adoptable.  They are throwaways, society’s outcasts, and they deserve better. 

ADULTS NEEDING ADOPTION!

STELLA

MONTY

GARRETT

JONNY


We had a wallop of a storm yesterday, overnight, and into today it continues.  There is currently a black cat that Sheryl and I noticed Saturday morning on the corner of Chamberlain and Garson.  I stopped immediately to give it food and water under a tree.  Sunday morning, I went back.  The bowls were gone, but I noticed the cat came out from under the open porch, so I placed the food and water underneath.  During the day yesterday, the weather turned bad, with sleet/ice/snow coming down.  I thought of this cat.  This morning, I arrived knowing I wanted to place a board to block the wind coming from a westerly direction, and straw, so that I could shove some under this porch.  The porch is not wide enough for me to fit a shelter underneath.  I heard the cat crying.  He didn’t come out, but I put warm water and food down for him, and hopefully, the straw will stay dry and he will know enough to burrow himself in it.  I will shove more underneath tomorrow morning. I didn’t have enough this morning.  Remember, I need to be careful not to draw attention to what I do, so I worried about the footprints that would be obvious to the person inside the home with the porch.  This is this cat’s only protection.  I don’t want that messed with.  And most people in these neighborhoods hate the cats, or me feeding them.

We had to shovel at each location this morning.  It was a mess.  From 3:15 am to 6:15 we were out there, shoveling, feeding, shoveling, feeding.  A lot of the cats weren’t around – do they hide out somewhere when the weather is nasty?  You would think they would use the shelters I have built.  Some were there, some not.  The beautiful cat on Short Street that I've dubbed Fancy Pants was not there either.



On Second Street near Bay, I have had a Styrofoam, shelter there against a building.  The box has straw.  I’ve seen a cat come out of it quite a few times.  This morning, I went out to shovel around it and stuck my hand inside.  Soaking wet.  These Styrofoam shelters do not do well with moisture.  They are good for under tarps, but not by themselves.  Needless to say, I am in DIRE need of plastic tote shelters.  Boards and plastic shelters are greatly needed.

We also have our online Facebook Forgotten Felines Buy it Now event happening until December 14th.  Hopefully, you are all able to get online and take a look.

That’s all I have time for right now, so I wish you all…

A great day!

3 comments:

  1. Great points about the shelters J !
    Maybe if we post a LINK to how to make cheap, easy shelters a few folks will make one and bring to you ?
    OH ! Heres a link ! :)
    https://www.neighborhoodcats.org/how-to-tnr/colony-care/feral-cat-winter-shelter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one using the Husky Heavy Duty 54 Gallon Storage Tote is a great one. Its cheap, easy to get at Lowes or Home depot, and will make a great shelter !

      Delete
  2. Hey J - its me again (LOL)
    Can we have ANDREA put that link at the top of the blog ? Next to FEED A CAT FOR CHRISTMAS ?
    There should be a BUILD A CAT A HOME FOR CHRISTMAS link there and have it go to the link I just posted.
    That way readers of the blog will see it and maybe make you one ?

    ReplyDelete