Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Happy Hump Day!


What a rotten morning.  The rain.  Had to get the trusty rain gear out.  First it would pour, then it would let up, then it would pour, and then let up.  Finally, three quarters of the way through, it stopped.  I was glad.  There are quite a few trees I place food under, and I knew if it were to continue to rain, the food would get soggy and the cats wouldn’t eat.  For some reason, they don’t eat soggy dry food.   If it was pouring, I would also not be placing the food under the tree knowing it would be a waste.






There is one location on Grand and Stout Street that concerns me.  There are a whole lot of cats there, and there is not a shelter.  Actually, I have secretly placed two shelters and a board over them to shield the food from the rain, in a bush on the corner there.  I placed them there mid-summer, but someone came along and broke all the Styrofoam shelters and placed them to the curb.  I am not sure who owns this large parklike property, but this time I placed my flier with my information to be contacted.  These cats need something.   There are older kittens, older cats, cats that obviously had a baby or two, a couple of sweet ones that run up to me and let me touch them.  I’ve even seen the pure white cat that was pregnant earlier this summer, and I hadn’t seen her again since the day after I spotted her and was going to trap her until a few mornings ago, on Grand. I spotted her pregnant on Garson, which runs parallel to Grand.  There, I am getting out at a fire hydrant and feeding two other cats that I know of.  There is nothing to shield the food if its raining, no trees, no structure to lean a board against, nothing.  This is where I rescued Fluffy, the very pregnant cat that delivered her first baby hours after I trapped her.  As a matter of fact, the kitten was born in the trap!

The jerk that was in the yellow hummer weeks ago on Niagara that was taking the board leaning against that vacant building has not been around in a week or so.  He kept taking my boards.  And throwing away the food.  He said his mother didn’t like the cats (where ever she lived)…  These cats have nothing.  I am secretly stashing a tote or two around there so that they can have something.  I’ve been feeding here for YEARS.  I’ve had many brushes with nasty people.  The owner of this building allowed me to keep my structures there before he sold it.  He was a kind man.  There is one cat – a brown tabby – that was always keeping distance from me.  He now allows me to pet him, and he actually looks deep into my eyes every day.  Very sweet little thing.  There were once over 20 cats living here.   Myself and others went on a mission years ago to do TNR which helped immensely keep the population from getting out of control.  There are now seven or so hanging around. 

We named the kitty I rescued from Melville yesterday. His name is Montego, Monty for short.  He tested negative, was neutered, given his shots, and is now safe and warm with Foster Mom Gaye.  With a little time, his very beautiful grey tiger coat will be sleek and shiny.    Pictures coming!

Thank you to the few of you that have offered to help free Muffin - Beth, Frank and Steve who were ready to go over and see what was what.   Muffin has been coming in and out of the vent system as he pleases, and I’ve advised Foster Dad Max to place the only food source inside the trap now, to get him out of there for good.  Muffin was coming out to use the litter pan, and eat the small amount of food Max was leaving.  No more.  We have to get him out, and into a new foster home, as Max doesn’t want this to happen again.  This has been a nightmare for all – the cat especially.

Do you all remember Griffin?  I have an updated picture of this boy I rescued on December 6th of last year. I am so grateful that his adopter keeps in touch.  I love getting updates!




That’s it for today!

Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment