Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Kittens & Deer Oh My!

 Deer for Easter!  Taken at my mother's house:


Its been a very busy two weeks.  I am not posting as much as I used to because I don’t think many people are reading it, and its meant to be informative, and a chance for me to spread the word about fostering, and adopting, some of the cats I care for.  I also have been searching for help with my shelters, as its becoming way to much for me to do.  But if I stop, they starve.  And that is something I will have to live with.

But for now, the latest:

I received an inquiry for help on Birr Street in the city – a woman said she had three newborns in a shelter she had on her porch for one of the many homeless cats on street.  The mom was around, and caring for them inside the shelter.  The only thing we could do is rescue the semi-feral mom and her babies together.

Thank God not only for the woman that called – that’s all we need is four more homeless cats reproducing after they have grown – but for Kristin who went over there to help me concoct a plan and for Tamera offering to foster them.  It was an arduous task getting the mom.  She had moved the kittens the day we went to get them to the other side of a fence of the neighbors where a pit bull resided and has killed a cat before, and she placed them behind a shed under a wood pile.  So thank God for the neighbor discovering them there too!  We moved the kittens to the safe side of the fence, placed them back into the shelter, placed the trap in front of it with tuna, and waiting.  Finally, momma figured out how to get in the hut, and there she came strutting to the front of the house with a kitten in her mouth, up to the porch where the hut originally was.  Smart cat.  We moved the trap back to the porch, with the hut, after grabbing the kitten after mom laid it down on the porch floor.

She still wasn’t going to go into the trap.  We wound up googling the sound of kittens crying, and placed it in the hut with the kittens.  She was frantic, but was not going into the trap.  So then Kristin decided to lift the door to the one end of the trap, and allow momma to get inside the hut to the ‘crying’ babies, and then she got her into the trap and blam!  Down the door went, and we got her.  She was not happy, but soon after we put a blanket over the trap and she calmed right down.  We got her and the babies to the new foster Mom’s house, and into a playpen for now.  Momma is going to be a real treat to socialize, but we will do our best.  We may have to return her after she is spayed in a few months, if she doesn’t’ come around.  Pictures coming soon.



Oh!  So when we went there to inspect, Kristin decided to check out the shed in the back of the caller’s house, and got up on a rickety ladder and saw one lone kitten there.  About two weeks old.  Alone.  So obviously, we couldn’t leave kitten there, and she is now in my ‘custody’.  I still can’t tell what sex it is, but I’ve named her/him LICORICE.  And I am bottle feeding, and getting peed on every chance it gets. Oh joy. 

That’s all I have to report for today – but stay tuned for my next dilemma I am having on Niagara Street in tomorrow’s edition.  If anyone is reading this…

Have  great day!

 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Janine - I always read your posts. For what it's worth, thank you for all you do. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Good job Janine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you found the 2 week old kitten. ❤️ This makes me so sad to know how many little ones and big ones are out there. Thank Goodness for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ALWAYS read , every single one. If I wasn't physically disabled and could walk I would help you on your feeding rounds. For now I will continue to send food and hope that that helps. I care deeply about what you do and all that you have accomplished

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I read, and enjoy, your blog. Please do not stop posting. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Lynne, Sawyer's mom.....I ALWAYS read your posts. Sawyer asks for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. this is June !

      Delete
    2. I always read your blog, Janine! Thanks for all you do.

      Delete
  8. Janine,. I receive your post and am backed up on my "catching up" so just want to tell you Thank You for continuing your great, very difficult yet rewarding work helping the innocent homeless kitties on the dangerous city streets πŸ’–πŸ’™πŸΎπŸ’œπŸ’– And Thanks to all that help you in this never ending flow of homeless Kitties πŸ’– I enjoy your posts and appreciate them highly πŸ’™πŸΎπŸ’œ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always read your blog, the work you do is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always read. Wish I had more money to contribute. I have 5 rescues myself. And way too many hospital/doctor bills.

    ReplyDelete