Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Foster - Save a Life!



Yesterday I posted something on Facebook that was bothering me, and I received a lot of different opinions on the matter.  I commented on how sad it was to get so many people reaching out to me that they needed to rehome their cats.  For whatever reason.  What I failed to mention, after some people alluded that I might be a bit heartless and insensitive, was that I do respond to these people, and I do offer them alternatives, but am upfront that I cannot rehome their cats, that rescues are over their heads with cats, and that the most compassionate thing for them would be to surrender their cats to a shelter, and to never just leave them.  My heart BREAKS for those cats!  I have a gazillion cats on the streets just WAITING for their turn to be rescued.  Abandoned cats, forgotten cats, wonderful cats!  

I should also have posted the past five requests I have received so that people could make their own judgments!  Each had a different story, but it all came down to this:  They have a cat or two that they’ve had for a long time, and due to this or that, needed to leave them.  On my application form, I need to amend with the question ‘do you have a contingency plan for kitty in case something happens to you’.  Of course, I always mention to new adopters that I will take the cat back if something does not work out.    In fact, that is on the contract that I have them sign, that they must return kitty to me.  That has only happened to me twice now, and that was Parsley and Hermie.

So yes, I get these pleas, and some do sound desperate.  Some of these reasons are legitimate. And a lot of them, as you learn in the course of doing animal rescue work, aren’t.  I still maintain that way too many pets end up at shelters because of dumb or avoidable reasons (like choosing to move to a place that doesn’t allow pets, or wanting a “younger, cuter” one instead… These things happen all the time). What I am saying, though, is that we shouldn’t automatically assume someone who needs to rehome their pet doesn’t love them or is a horrible person.  I would hope they’ve exhausted all their options.  And there are options.  Family, friends, boarding cats, etc. 

I wish I had an overabundance of people that would offer to foster a cat or two.  Then I could get the desperate cats off the street that I need to, and have room for these other sweet angels who’s owner is leaving them behind.  They don’t deserve that, and it just plain makes me sad. Some cats go into a deep depression when their family gives them up – some grieve themselves to death.  I have only THREE people to help me foster right now.  I would love to know how many the bigger rescues have. 

Also, all rescues should take responsibility, if they don’t already, and let the new family know that they can contact you if it doesn’t work out. Consider it a peace-of-mind guarantee that your pet won’t end up on the streets or in a shelter.


The bottom line is, there are always options.  

Have a good day.

"Saving one pet won't change the world, 
but for that one pet, 
the world will change forever."


1 comment: