Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Huck and Scout Update


IT was a nice mild morning.  I was thinking as I was walking to the back of vacant lots in the dark, boy its sure going to be different soon. I will need to start wearing my snow boots son enough, and I've got to find those traky dax – those things you put on the bottom of your shoes to walk on snow/ice --- I don’t think that is the right name for them.  I think tracky dacks is an Australian slang for something..  Oh well.. my friend in Kansas had a pair sent to me after I broke my ankle back in February.  Anyways, I am building up a shelter on 4th and Pennsylvania for the few black cats and a tabby that I’ve been feeding all summer under a tree there.  I have sort of hidden two little shelters with a board on top to keep the rain that is due to day, away.  I pray no one spots it and removes or destroys it.  My other iffy is Parsells #1 where I am SNEAKING in silence to feed against the house in front, sort of behind a bush there, while the person inside could easily hear me if sitting right there at the window above.  They removed my shelters earlier this year, and I’ve slowly been putting them back under the bush.  It’s a double house, and the people that moved in on the other side kept removing the food, and the boards I would place to protect the food when it rained, so I moved to the other side.  That person seems to either have no knowledge of the food bowls and shelters, or just doesn’t care.  It’s a dirty area, and there are certainly rats, but the cats that live there and depend on the food is a strong enough motivation for me to sneak around to make sure they are fed.  The cats.  Not the rats.  The rats could live on the trash around the area easily.

SOPHIE!
Sophie, the beautiful long haired tortie I rescued from Short Street two weeks ago, who was being fostered by Max, is now in a new home.  She was delivered to Paul yesterday, and from what I was told, she sniffed around, ran to Paul for a pet, sniffed around again, ran to Kings, and just went exploring.  Apparently there is a lot to explore in Pauls house, which is somewhat cluttered I am told, but clean.  Paul is retired from the county, the Sherriffs office – and thanks to a retired officer, Liz, he was treated to food and a new litter pan. Liz even paid for Sophie’s spay by calling in to the clinic to make a donation in her name.  Thanks Liz.  I do hope Paul keeps me posted on Sophie.  Apparently he said she would work out just fine.  He was already loving her.  And thanks to Max for fostering.




The Muffin Man
Speaking of fostering, I want to thank Melissa for taking Muffin back after packing his bags and sending him off into the world the first time she fostered him a few years back.  I am so sorry that he was returned, and went through the ordeal of hiding in the ducts of Max’s house, but am grateful to her for offering to take him in once again. He’s had a lot of interest, but no takers.  Its not that he doesn’t show well, you should see how wonderful he is with Melissa, jumping into her lap now, playing, and just being a cat, its that people don’t follow through after showing interest. 

Goldilocks Babies...  UPDATE!



"Just wanted to send a quick happy update your way and send along a few pictures!  

These two babies have brought so much joy into our home.  They have such wonderfully different personalities.  Scout is sweet and loving and lets us pick her up and hold her upside-down like a little baby.  She is gentle with her little paws and plays so nicely with Ada (6 years old).  She loves having her belly petted and follows me from room to room all day.  Huckleberry is a quite a character - he makes us laugh all day long with his antics.  Just today he took a dip in the toilet, knocked over a wastebasket, and carried a crumpled sheet of paper around the house in his mouth like a dog.  But when he's exhausted from playing, he enjoys chilling with his humans and has the loudest purr we've ever heard!

The big surprise to all of us has been how much joy the babies have brought to our senior kitty.  He is 16 and grouchy and set in his ways, so we weren't quite sure what to expect.  For the first few days there was a bit of hissing but very quickly the three of them started playing and sleeping together!  Kitters seems like a kitten again himself bounding around and playing with the little ones.  He even grooms them and is gently tolerant when they jump on his tail!  Huckleberry in particular (who looks like a Kitters mini-me) is like Kitters' BFF and follows him around everywhere he goes.  The kittens have brought a sparkle into Kitters' eyes again and we are so pleased he will have loving companionship in his golden years.

We are so happy to have these little ones and so thankful to both of you for all that you do for cats in need."

This stuff makes my day!

Have a good day!

"No rain, no rainbow."

2 comments:

  1. Hi J !
    The things you want are YAKTRAX !
    https://yaktrax.implus.com/
    They sell them at dicks clothing and sporting and also the field and stream store in Henrietta !
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting my Scout/Huckleberry update! Muffin is so pretty and reminds me of my senior boy. Hope he thrives in the foster home - wish I could bring him in but we are at capacity for a while with the babies! Maybe we will be able to foster in the future :)

    ReplyDelete