Tuesday, November 19, 2019

The Weekend

SUNNY~!

 Wow, what a weekend.  Let's start on Sunday morning.  I rescued another cat.  This is the cat that I TNR’d from Melville Street several weeks ago.  Missy had a batch of kittens in the springtime somewhere.  I never found them.  The day I went to get her and bring to the clinic, was the day she disappeared.  After TNR’ing her, and knowing how sweet she was, it bothered me every day when I went there to feed her and others under the tree.   A former adopter mentioned that her husband’s caregiver was interested in fostering a cat, and I immediately took her up on that.  Thelma is doing great with SUNNY, and Thelma reports that she follows her everywhere, and loves to be on top of her.  So, Sunny is ready for a home!

I have two fosters, Kimberly and Janessa, just waiting for the next one to come off the street.  I know of one already. He is a gorgeous short-haired grey with a white patch or two hanging around Syd and Johnny’s auto garage and has a gash on his head.  A sweet boy.  Maybe Thursday?  Kimmy, are you ready? 



Sara went to her new home on Saturday, but I am not hearing many reports on her.  I will have to persist.  I do know, however, that they like her!  Sara is a sweet cat, and I am hoping they are in total love with her.  Nice couple – even though I have not met the woman, but her boyfriend is pretty awesome, and Sean mentioned he would like to do something for the feral cats in his neighborhood of Park Avenue area.



Also on Sunday, I met a woman who wants to adopt Muffin!  Hooray!  She is a great girl, former rescuer, so she knows what to do when he gets there, as he will be terrified, once again.  She will give him time and space but will spend lots of time with him to get him to come out and trust.  And then introduce him to her other cats, as he is very social, and does like to play once he acclimates.  Everything is a go for Sunday, as long as her house passes muster.  I am a fanatic to make sure that these cats go to a home that is clean and has room to roam.  They are all my babies, and I need to know they are safe.



On Saturday, my friends and supporters Carol and Andrea (Lou too!) helped to arrange a massive event for me at the Penfield Rec Center.  What a great place to have it.  They had tables filled with items for sale and a table with a lot of sweet treats.  The only requirement to attend was to bring a bag of cat food.  Or canned.  The event was to help support me and another rescuer, Carol.  Carol is a great girl who does big stuff around the city feeding and trapping cats.  She aims to rescue as much as I do, but she seems to have more resources for placing the cats.  She primarily does the west side of the city, where I am in the Beechwood section.  What a great success it was.  The MOUND of cat food was astounding!  It should last a bit.  Remember, I go through 44+ pounds of dry food alone EACH DAY. I feed well over 100 cats – that’s counting!  I will never ever be able to thank them properly.  But I do need ideas on something affordable.  Anybody have any ideas?

Someone walked up to Carol during the event and handed her an envelope, one each for me and Carol.  We don’t know who that was.  Please stand up and reveal yourself to me!  And to those that came, if we didn’t get a chance to talk, PLEASE FORGIVE me.  It was a non-stop talk event for me, but what a delight to meet all those that I know by Facebook.  And see old friends.  Gosh, just such great people.  Thank you, everyone, for the gifts and food.  And thanks to Michelle Cardulla too, for starting a company selling Ts and hoodies made by artwork from local children.  She seriously wants to start a business, and I believe it could be very profitable.  We need more people like Michelle!  Thank you!

Finally, Aayda.  Aadya is the kitten that was found zip-tied in a dumpster on Hudson Avenue by a homeless couple last Thursday.  Aayda is about 8 weeks old and is the most precious kitten I’ve ever seen.  For going through what she went through.  She was immediately brought to Pittsford Animal Hospital and was discharged on Saturday.  She suffered blunt force trauma to her head which caused blood to cloud her eyes, and her walking is still a bit shaky.  Lots of meds and love.  She was fostered on Saturday by one of the technicians, Lea, who couldn’t love her more – Everyone there had a piece of their hearts stolen by Aayda.  The even better news?  The doctor at the clinic is adopting her.  And get this, she is naming her BEAN.  Can you believe that?  I am honored, even if it wasn’t intended to be named after my nickname.   I am STILL WAITING for a news channel to jump all over this.  WE need to spread light on animal cruelty and at the very least, the public should know about this incident.  It should not go unnoticed.




I found out today we have new kittens in the rescue.  These kittens were dumped in a barn in a neighboring town, the same barn we found Mya and Lexi in.  Disgusting.  But these kittens are precious, maybe 4-5 weeks old?



Finally, I put my little girl Midnight to sleep on Monday.  I couldn't let her suffer.  Her eye was oozing matter from the tumor growing inside her mouth, and pushing on her eye.  I missed her so much this morning.  I will see you again soon my little girl.  

Don’t forget this Saturday, I will have Stella’s kittens at West Elm from 11 to 1 or so…   145 Culver Road, in the old Armory building.  Great high-end retail store.  The kittens are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


LAW


WASHINGTON (CNN) — The House has unanimously passed a bill that makes animal cruelty a federal felony.
The PACT Act — which stands for Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture — was approved by the House on Tuesday. The bipartisan act, introduced by Florida congressmen Ted Deutch and Vern Buchanan, will revise a previous law passed in 2010.
“The torture of innocent animals is abhorrent and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law,” Buchanan said. “Passing the PACT Act sends a strong message that this behavior will not be tolerated.”
Currently, federal law only explicitly prohibits animal fighting, and only criminalizes wrongdoers when they create and sell videos depicting the actual animal cruelty.
The PACT Act allows authorities to go after the wrongdoers because they will have federal jurisdiction and will not be bound by state laws. They can also prosecute criminals if the cruelty occurs on federal property.
Under the act, a person can be prosecuted for crushing, burning, drowning, suffocating, and impaling animals and sexually exploiting them.
The legislation contains exceptions for hunting.
Those convicted would face federal felony charges, fines and up to seven years in prison.
“These malicious acts deserve federal scrutiny and action. Federal prosecutors and law enforcement officials will finally have the tools they need to bring those responsible for cruelty to animals to justice,” Humane Society Legislative Fund President Sara Amundson said.
In addition, the bill has been endorsed by the National Sheriffs Association and the Fraternal Order of Police.
The measure must next pass the Senate, which has not scheduled a vote on it.
(™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.)

3 comments:

  1. Very sorry for your loss J !
    I think I remeber meeting her at your house sometime, but not sure.
    That grey and white at Sid and Johnnies is a sweetie ! His fur is very soft. He pushes on you the whole time your feeding and watering. I have to be careful not to plop the wet on his head !
    He will make a GREAT companion for some lucky human !
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean,

    So sorry for the loss of your precious Midnight! She is playing in heaven with all the rest of the Kitties you have rescued over the years and have left us too soon.

    Once again Thank you for all you do on a daily basis for all these precious felines that were discarded and neglected by cruel and selfish humans.

    R.I.P. Midnight!


    Love,
    Walt & Karon
    Simoni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine,

    Forgive me for calling you Jean that is Karon's Aunt's name who has been on our mind a lot recently for personal reasons,


    Love,
    Walt & Karon

    ReplyDelete