Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Giving Thanks

(After typing below, I realized that I had already told the story of Giblet (aka Fuzzy Wuzzy) in my last post  - oh well.)

Well, its been a week.  Or a week and a half?  So the Monday after I was able to rescue little Georgie from behind the shed on Garson – or property owner was able to grab him and give him to me – I continued to hear tiny cries coming from this dilapidated garage/shed that morning.  My heart sank.  I again texted Jeff at 5 am. and asked him to please go investigate.  After I didn’t hear anything, and before I had to begin work at 8, I went back there when it was light and lifted the garage door up and made my way through the debris.  I could hear the faint cry of a very tiny kitten, and then I couldn’t.  I stood there waiting, nothing.  I left with a very heavy heart.  Hours later, Jeff called and said he had him.  I drove over and grabbed the skinny little thing.  Thanking my lucky stars that I heard the cries at just the right time.  He wouldn’t have made it if it were much longer. I figured both he and Georgie were about not quite 4 weeks old.  Babies. 




Fast forward, after trying and trying to get ‘Giblet’ to use the litter box, I realized, as I had with Georgie, he needed to have a ‘mentor.’  So off he went to Foster Tamera’s house where the big kids were, and sure enough, he began to use the litter box.  AND he has learned to play!  Kittens really don’t know what to do without observing other kittens/cats.  They really do learn from each other.  When I get adopters wanting to adopt a kitten and there is no other animal in the house, I am very cautious to do that.  Can you imagine the loneliness when the adopter leaves the house for that animal?  There are a trillion reasons why its important to have a buddy system when you adopt a lone cat or kitten.  A trillion.

Today is Giving Tuesday --- ROC The Day.  Prior to working for United Way, I participated in this fundraising day and it sure helped me with the financial costs of feeding and vet costs.  But it’s a conflict of interest, and I was told I could not participate as long as I am working for UW.  So, I got creative and started a fundraiser on Facebook and I am so, SO grateful to those that have contributed to this.  There is a DONATE button on this page you are reading, if you would like to donate.  I want to list the names here, and not only are they contributors to the fundraiser today, but have done so this past month, some of them for the Feed a Cat for Christmas campaign and some contribute on a monthly basis - I will continue to list names if more donations come in.  Thank you!


Kim B.

Carol O.

Mary C.

Laurie C.

Andrea C.

Bill G.

Linda VG

Patty M.

Carrie PI

Valerie V.

Donna H.

Shannon C.

Sue HH

Karen P.

Randy R.

Elaine E.

Estelle G.

JoEllen S.

Debbie A.

Karin WB

Lynn AS

Sue C.

Betty W.

Diane W.

Sandy W.

Judy P.

Kathleen N.

Ann H.

Heather D.

Deborah S.

Rosemarie E.

Courtney K.

Baerbel P.

Den & Bev W.

David S.

Susan H.

Mary R.

Gregg R.

Mark R.

Mary Ellen F.

Jean H.

Mary Beth S.

Marie H.

Anne G.

Yuliya Z.

Jim Gaither

Barb P.

Maureen S.

Maura H. (her mom)

Tracy C.

Benita S.

Milton H.

Patricia VW

Deborah C.


  • What your donations go to (these are averages):
    • Cost of bag of 16 lb. dry food (I go through 70lbs per day) - $10
    • Cost of box of wet food 32 each (I go through 30 cans per day) - 15
    • Cost of spay/neuter with shots (1 cat) - $100
    • Vet Bill from Pittsford Hospital (per month) - $250+ (depends on how many sick cats I bring in)
    • Vet Bill from RCAC (per month) $1000

I've had to whittle down the feedings to every other day.  They go a day in between with no food.  This year, since January, I have rescued 75 cats and kittens from the streets.  I look forward to the day where there are no more homeless pets.  Thank you for your kindness and generosity!

Have a Great day!

“The best portion of a good man’s life;

His little, nameless

Unremembered acts of kindness and love.”





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment