Thursday, March 5, 2020

Play Misty for Me

Misty


Misty

Yesterday morning I snagged this lucky little girl.  She's the crier that runs to me each day from the vacant porch of a house on Central and Seventh that is one scary looking place.  When people lived in this multi-unit, it was so trash-filled, it was really a scary-looking place in the daylight.   It's vacant now, but a sad reminder of what used to be there.  "Misty" can’t be any more than a year old, but she has been on the streets for a while now, and I am almost positive, she is pregnant.  Little did I know she was as sweet as she is.  She is at the clinic today hopefully on the list to be spayed, and tested, and given all the necessary shots and vaccines so that she can live a healthier life in a loving environment, off the streets.   She is certainly one of the very few lucky cats that get a chance to be rescued.  The others, the ones that SHOULD be off the street, continue to run to me crying for a meal, to fill their hungry bellies.  If anyone has issues with aborting kittens, there are so many reasons why its necessary, but a fellow rescuer put it best this morning on Facebook:

"This is a post about my perspective and many won't like it. Every cat person I know says don't speak of it. Well, I've been working on these city streets for over three years. I have seen wounds, broken limbs, dying kittens, dead cats, starvation missing eyes, etc. Terrible suffering. This is a time of year when people who TNR stress. We try to prevent overpopulation which is equal to suffering by spaying pregnant cats. There will still be no shortage of kittens even with our best efforts. I have had many contact me wanting pregnant cats. I am not afraid to voice my opinion I'm out there 7 days a week and we are not fixing this problem by consciously breeding cats. Have you ever seen two males viciously fighting during mating season? Have you seen a junior female raped? It ain't no picnic for these cats. There's no candy and flowers. That's what's happening. Please understand I love kittens too but there is an epidemic in our city. There will be so many in a month, rescues will be full. The shelters will be full. And guess what the old, the not so pretty, the scared will be euthanized or not be adopted, they may be left on the street. People will be turned away at the shelters as they will have no cage space. This is when they say ok and toss them to the street. And guess what more cats, more sickness, more suffering. When does this cycle end? You watch this will be the worst kitten season. I see more cats than ever I am all over this city. Please do not contact me wanting a pregnant cat, contact me wanting a cat who is starving and purrs in my trap. Please do not act like you are saving a life when cats are being shot on the street. Please love the imperfect beautiful cats that are here and deserve our help. This beautiful cat was pregnant covered in flea scabs and emaciated, I fully vetted her. She won't sit nursing for eight weeks only for her babies to be ripped away. She will go to a fully screened home because she matters to me. Isn't she lovely."



Misty will be going to a foster home with Max, and Max’s dog Ollie, and his kitten he adopted from me last year, Apollo.   It might take some adjustment for the dog and cat, so wish us luck.  I hope some lucky person comes along and wants to adopt her soon.  She likes to lick you.  She is a very sweet little kitty.

Have a great day!



No comments:

Post a Comment