Tuesday, January 30, 2024

A Message to Other Rescues

This is the kitty I've been searching for since summertime when I first spotted him on Bay Street.   He was so desperate he jumped into the car seat for petting.  


Months later, I spotted him blocks away on Second Street off Central Park.  The Mailbox Kitties is what I call the colony on that corner.  I had also had a vet appt. lined up for him, a foster, AND an adopter!  Had to cancel the vet appt.  The others went on with their lives.  Finally, Friday came around and there he was, and I grabbed him with a plan in hand.  


The foster said she would take him if I got him.  He was at the foster for the week, where one of the days was spent at Caring for Cats where the foster works, and we found out he was a she!  And already spayed!  

"Penny" is settling in nicely in her new home where she is loved by everyone.  



Kristin did a post for me as a guest blogger, and she delivers a great message for all other rescues:  

"Last week I spoke on the phone to a kind woman who has been reaching out to numerous rescues since last summer for help in dealing with the stray cats living around her home. When I told her I would come to her house to help her, she burst into tears. She was so relieved to finally have help, she couldn’t stop crying. I share this because recently, it seems that we are getting many messages from people who have nowhere to turn to with their cat situations and no one will return their calls. 

I can’t count the number of people in the last few months who have told me “You are the only person who has ever called me back”. It’s not easy to call everyone back, but Janine and I try to respond to everyone who contacts us - even if we aren’t sure we can help them. And what we are finding is that so many people actually just want someone to talk to, someone to help them develop a plan, or even just to know someone cares about them and what they are going through. People feel overwhelmed, alone, confused, helpless, and hopeless. More and more, we see we are helping people as much as cats and kittens. 

I guess what I really want to say is, please reach out when people ask for help. Don’t ignore them, even if you think you have nothing to offer. Your acknowledgment of them is huge. Oftentimes, just being the caring voice on the other end of the phone means more to people than you would ever expect – even if that’s all you can give them at the moment. And what I have found out more often than not, is that we actually CAN help. Maybe all they need is to borrow a trap, learn about RCAC’s programs, or even just get a dose of flea meds. It really comes down to this:

do what you can, where you are, with what you have"

I would LOVE to feature YOUR message or story so please, help me to keep this blog going! 

Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment