Monday, May 23, 2022

Some People.....

 It's been a while since I last wrote.  Life is busy. 

So, we have a bunch of kittens.  I have Licorice – or should I say my friend Jack is helping me out by caring for him for now.  I have so much going on at home that I needed that break.  Thanks, Crack!  Tamera has Duke, April, and Chloe – plus their momma, who are the sweetest little things you ever did see, and Kristin has four – don’t have names or pics yet to post on Petfinder, but they are coming soon!

Here are various pics of Licorice, Duke, April and Chloe:






Duke has been pre-adopted by a former adopter.  I had the three of them over for a playdate with Licorice last weekend, and they were all adorable.  We are not sure what we will do with their mom.  She is still hesitant to let us get near her.  If worse comes to worse, she will have to go back to Birr Street where she came from, and those nice ladies that reported them all to us will continue to feed and shelter.  She will, however, go back SPAYED!  It’s a crime, all these kittens being born.  Terrible.  Especially when there are SO MANY HOMELESS cats out there. 

I have to share…  I have two rules for my rescue – I won’t adopt out to anyone that is willing to declaw, and anyone willing to let the cat outside.

IT'S A DANGEROUS WORLD OUT THERE

  • Accidents
  • Injuries
  • Predators
  • Fights
  • Cruelty
  • Diseases
  • Parasites
  • Poisons
  • Weather
  • Getting Lost

 I had a girl reach out for a meet and greet with April, and after reviewing her application, she put she would be considering letting the kitten -- or her own cats out.  I responded the following:

“Thanks, Mady, animals don’t know better.  They don’t know the dangers outside…  Not to mention fleas they bring into the house…  And you are right they do need distraction but an open window in summer and a perch to look out year-round is all they need.”

Now, I don’t know how that sounds to you, but here is how it sounded to her!

“I appreciate your prompt reply.  I understand that you may think that cats ‘don’t know better’ and that you may know better than cats acting on their own instinct.  I seem to forget that cats were bred to be cooped up indoors and don’t have any evolutionary roots in being outdoors.  Furthermore, I am curious where you got your degree and specialization in animal behavior, Harvard?  Stanford?  Please let me know so that I can be as smart as you.  All the best!”

Yea, OK Mady, and all the best to you too.  @$$%$^e.  Some people.  Geesh.  I sure don’t want people like her adopting from me.  THAT’S why I screen with the application.  Weed the wrong people out.

The Niagara Street cats – Mutt and Jeff – are still greeting me each morning after their shelter was removed.  I have a board that is leaning against a chain-link fence for their food when it rains, otherwise, don’t know when I will be barricaded right out of that property thanks to the Home Leasing management.  I know it is not the on-sight supervisor – he doesn’t mind the cats – it's management.  These big companies coming into properties that were once home to so many animal species.  How dare they.  It's just plain wrong.  To kick an animal out of its home.  It's just wrong.

Update on Pearl – now aptly named Purrl!  She is coming around.  She was transferred from Shery’s foster care, to a horse barn addition out in Honeoye Falls – a former adopter offered to try to rehabilitate and socialize her.  She hid for months in Sheryl’s house.  Big progress is being made, but she still has a long way to go.  But Julia and Kim are the cat-whisperers.  Kim has several ferals she feeds at her barn as well.  Big animal lover.  So grateful to the two of them.

Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Love the two middle ones. April and Duke. How precious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your comment back to Maddy. She is obviously not up to date on what cruelty to animals is all about. She is definitely one idiot who is not qualified to adopt/own an animal. There are NUT JOBS out there who are mean to cats and torture, maim and kill just for fun. Thank you Janine for all you do and have done for these poor babies. Patrish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you figured out ahead of time. I thought an indoor outdoor cat was okay. THEN my sons cat got hit by a car in front of our house. I still haven’t gotten over it! I will NEVER have an outdoor cat again. They don’t know any better and that’s not fair to them. So many other reasons like you said. They are like my children and that’s how they should be treated so it’s a much safer place to be inside. They won’t die of boredom. ☹️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh that Mady is a sparky thing isn't she??🙄

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed by people who let their cat roam outdoors and then they get all upset when something bad happens to the cat which could have been prevented by keeping it indoors. I have a lot of sympathy for the poor cat, and I know this will sound harsh, but I have no sympathy for the owner who does this. Thank you for screening potential adopters who would be so negligent as to put a furbaby in harms way.

    ReplyDelete