Thursday, April 28, 2022

Toby

 A few things…  first, thank you so much for your comments on my last post.  So glad to know people are reading πŸ’™πŸ’šπŸ’›πŸ’œ  

Yesterday was a sad day, and today will be a sad day, for a few people.  It has to do with a cat named Toby that was rescued by a woman named Angela who lives in the area I go to feed in.  Toby was emaciated and walked up to Angela, who immediately took him in.  She made an appointment at a vet and was told yesterday that he has Feline Leukemia.  He was also microchipped and came from a person living on Peck Street in the city.  They tried to get in touch, and they had 24 hours to hear back.  As of this moment, nothing.  Angela had been in touch with me since she picked up Toby telling me she had no room at her house and asking if I could try to find a foster for him.  She didn’t want him to be in a cage all day and night. 

Angela really didn’t know about this highly contagious and deadly disease, and I explained to her (and hopefully the doctor did too) about it, and advised her it would be best to have him euthanized – I know of no homes that care for Leuk + cats – and he will eventually, and more than likely soon, pass on his own.  There is suffering involved, as with any cancer, and I can’t watch a cat suffer.  I did this with one cat named HOMIE when I first started rescue – a woman had a room she kept in her house just for Leuk+ cats, and Homie just disintegrated fast.  Such a sweet boy he was.  It's just the saddest thing to watch.   So, Angela has an appointment this afternoon to have him euthanized – something she has never done.  I told her that being with him when he takes his last breath is crucial to the cat - they need to know they were loved by their person right to the end.

Here are some pictures of sweet little Toby: πŸ’“

 




I hear and see so many sad things, I get so many calls for help...  I wish I never started this…  I dread the day I stop.  There are so many that will suffer if they are still left on the streets.  Please consider fostering and adopting.

On another matter, at my Ferndale shelter, there is an all-black cat colony where we've tried to get the baby-making momma trapped and fixed, but she eluded my expert trapper friend Lori each time.  There are usually 7 to 8 cats that we can count there on any given day.  Yesterday, I was forced to go out and feed at my 24 shelters all by myself because the girl that I've paid since she started with me a few months ago texted me at 4 in the morning saying she didn't feel good.  Let me tell you, it's the first time I've gone out by myself in many years.  I panicked for a second, but then realized, you just have to go and do it, one shelter at a time.  I can barely walk let alone carry the water and food.  It was not fun, but back to the Ferndale shelter story, lately, we haven't seen ONE cat around, and as I placed the food down yesterday there, I heard barking and thought the dog was in the yard behind the fence, but as I looked the dog was behind ME and there was a huge hole in the fence.  He hadn't attacked me, yet, so I continued to calmly do what I was doing and walked slowly away back to the truck.  I turned around and noticed him sniffing inside the shelter. He must have been eating the food, and God knows what happened to the cats.  I plan on leaving a note on the porch of the person's house at 42 Ripley Street and I will pretend I live on the street behind - and ask them to place a board to cover the hole - as I have children playing out there.  We will see when and if that gets done.  

That's it for now.  Next up:  Niagara Street.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment