Thursday, April 14, 2022

Judgy

 Lots of stuff happening lately.  First, we got two kitties adopted in the past two weeks.  Second, I continue to feed over 100 cats daily.  Third, so many shelters are eyesores, particularly on Second Street.  I would love to spruce up the shelters to look decent so that the city barely notices them. Here are my needs:

  • New dark brown or dark green spray-painted shelters, with a hole cut on the long side, and fresh new straw inside.
  • camo green or brown, brown or dark green tarps of varying sizes
  • Food!  Always in need of food.  I don't get much donated, so it is critical that I get donations to continue to feed the cats in the public market area of Rochester.  It takes 5 16-lb bags each day I go out.  I have had to whittle it down from daily, to every other day.  I also use 30 cans of wet food each time too, and that is leaving just a 'plop; down for each.
  • Fosters!  It takes just one person to save a cat from the streets.  Fostering is the easiest and most rewarding thing you can do.  You are literally saving a life, and I have a very successful adoption rate for older cats and kittens.  It's the older cats that need us the most.
Speaking of adoptions, here is an update on Bello, the black cat I've fed for years on Central Park, and was rescued by a helper, Esther, who decided it was his time and asked for my help.  He had some issues going on with his back end, so after many expensive vet visits, he was fostered - many thanks to Chloe - and finally adopted!  Here is his picture from his new mom.  He is living in the lap of luxury.  did I say lap?  From this pic, looks like the 'end' of luxury.  :)



I want to speak on the subject of adopting cats.  It is my policy to speak to the adoptor before I deliver the cat to their new home.  I hint around that I am delivering personally to make sure the house is SAFE for the cat.  I point out that I am bringing an innocent creature, much like a human baby, to an unknown location, and to someone I don't know much about, and I tell them to have everything ready (i.e., litter box (WITH LITTER IN IT ALREADY), food bowl (WITH THE FOOD ALREADY IN IT) and water dish (WITH WATER IN IT).  I stress this because 5 times out of 10 this is not done, even though I request it.  

I am not a clean freak, but my personal preference/taste is an uncluttered house, clean (but not by Mr. Clean's standards), and tidy.  I am fanatical about a few things, my litter boxes, my kitchen floor/counters, stovetop sparkly, pillows punched in the middle.  Ha.  Kidding about the last one.  I am decluttering my life because I just don't need to have the s#$T I have in closets, basement, garage.  If I haven't used it in years, donate it or trash it.  But yes, I am fanatical about my house looking decent.  I try not to judge those that have a little less regiment than I do.  But there are those that have problems.  These people seem very sweet, are probably very kind, have functioning jobs, lots of friends, and love love love their animals, but there is something wrong if you have a house so cluttered and dirty that it makes a person like me cry even thinking about leaving a cat there.

I have decided to screen people right off the bat with adoptions.  I was talking to someone that helps me out occasionally in the mornings, and I asked him -- on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being OCD about house cleanliness, and 1 being hoarding, where would you fall?  He responded with an 8.  I would respond with an 8 also.  I then asked, where would you fall when asked if you had too much clutter, and you keep your home close to clutter-free, that being a 1, and too much being a 10.   I responded with a 4, for right now.  I will be using this scale when screening candidates for adoption.  

Here is the definition of a hoarding disorder:

A hoarding disorder is where someone acquires an excessive number of items and stores them in a chaotic manner, usually resulting in unmanageable amounts of clutter. The items can be of little or no monetary value.

Hoarding is considered a significant problem if:

  • the amount of clutter interferes with everyday living – for example, the person is unable to use their kitchen or bathroom and cannot access rooms
  • the clutter is causing significant distress or negatively affecting the quality of life of the person or their family – for example, they become upset if someone tries to clear the clutter and their relationship suffers

Hoarding disorders are challenging to treat because many people who hoard frequently do not see it as a problem, or have little awareness of how it's affecting their life or the lives of others.

Many do realize they have a problem but are reluctant to seek help because they feel extremely ashamed, humiliated, or guilty about it.

It's really important to encourage a person who is hoarding to seek help, as their difficulties discarding objects can not only cause loneliness and mental health problems but also pose a health and safety risk.

If not tackled, it's a problem that will probably never go away.

I've had a recent situation that has disturbed me a great deal, and I am having a hard time with my decision.  Without me going into details, I would like to know if any of you have thoughts on this.  I hope you will write me and let me know.  Or write on this blog.  It can be anonymous.

Thanks and have a great day.

  

 "Do not judge by appearances, 
but judge with right judgment.”
- John 7:24

No comments:

Post a Comment