Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Winter

CLICK ON PICS TO ZOOM IN:



What a week!  We had about a foot and half of snow overnight Monday.  Talk about a nightmare.  Not only for me, with the knee issue, but also for my helper that morning Esther.  Good thing she is younger than me.  She was a power shoveler at most of the locations, minus three.  I felt terrible.  I knew those cats would go a day or two without food.  I can only ask so much of people.  I HATE asking for help.  It was bad enough, the 3.5 hours it took us to dig out, pour food, and drive to the next spot. I could not get into the three spots due to the amount of snow the snowplows had piled up at the entrances.  As it was, I got stuck at Parsells trying to turn around, and Esther had to get out and shovel under my wheels.  After 10 minutes of rocking back and forth, I finally broke free!  Thank God for my 4-wheel drive truck.  Love it.  It really was a bad morning.  Not to mention my own house, and the plows piling up these huge mounds of snow I had to climb over at 5 am.  Ya love em, but ya hate em.

On top of all that, at my middle location on Fernwood Crescent, Esther texted me while I waited in the truck from the shelter in the back of the lot where she was shoveling and placing food, and said there was a baby kitten one of the little huts inside, sick.  I asked her if she could bring it and we would put in carrier.  She then walks up with this baby in her coat, and I took from her and gently placed it in the carrier.  I panicked, but had to finish up my route.  I didn't know if the kitten would live or die before I got home.  But I couldn't stop with the route.  I had to get to the cats that were stranded in the snow in their shelters.

Again, panicked, I reached out for help on FaceBook.  (I am always thinking I will miraculously have someone come meet me at the moment of need and swoop up the sick kitten and take care of it).  Not the case, but Karla from Keller's Kats offered to help.  I knew this kitten was feral, but obviously was so sick it was just about limp in our arms.  When I panic like that, I forget that I do have a few options, but again, I thought 'feral' and thought kitten would be a LOT of work for one of my fosters.  Miraculously, I was in touch with the clinic about some other adopted kittens surgeries (it was now 8 am. and the clinic was open), and I was told to bring kitten there after I mentioned I found a very sick kitten.  Thank God for them.  I dropped off kitten, she - Fern - had a severe viral upper respiratory infection - eyes shut, nose plugged, totally underweight (2.6 lbs) and about 12 weeks old.  I picked her up after they cared for her, and finally, Karla sent a foster to get her that night.  I held her in my arms and syringe fed her in the bathroom.  She was so scared and very docile.  She is gorgeous, long haired black kitten.  I will update with  better pics but here is all I have for now.





One last note about the past five days, there was a woman that was bashing me on Facebook, saying I was a fraud and that I didn't really feed the cats even though I was getting donations and she was going to report me.  Crazy woman.  Accusing me even though she didn't have the facts.  She would walk her dog on Melville, and not see a dish by the side of the road with cat food or water for days on end.  Little did she know, I sometimes put food by the road because there are some cats that won't use the SHELTERS IN THE BACK OF THE LOT WHERE ALL THE FOOD IS.  The other times there is not food by the road is when it is either raining, snowing, or there isn't a cat around.  She even had the nerve to video tape the side of the road at the two locations on that street and said I wasn't really feeding the cats.  Meanwhile, I've since set her straight, and haven't heard a word back.  Although this morning, I was surprised to find 3 of my shelters shoveled from the sidewalk all the way back to the shelters.  Wondering who that might have been???????????????????????????????????????????????????????  IF it was her, it was a kind gesture, but she sure does owe a public apology in my opinion.  After all, I've given up enough of my life for these cats and doing what I do.  I don't take accusations like that lightly.



Phew!  I HATE winter!  Only 50 something days 'til spring!  

Have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. This kitten is a beauty! How is he/she doing?

    ReplyDelete