Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Kindness

Its been a while since I last posted.  Its been a very busy past month, and the holidays no exception.  I've also had some knee problems which have literally laid me up.  Its not been a good past two weeks.  But I still continued to get out every other morning thanks to the help of June, Sheryl and Kings the past few weeks.  I can't walk but I can drive.  Hopefully after Thursday that will change.  I will have a procedure that hopefully will make my knee feel better!  

I was out this morning and as I was sitting there waiting for Kings to come down from the porch on Central and 7th, a woman saw my window open and asked if I had a dollar.  It was kind of sad.  I said my usual, that I only carry cat food, and that if I did have money, I would give her some.  Which I would.  She then said thank you and continued walking.  She was wearing a very thin coat and no gloves or hat, and it was in the 20s.  I thought for a second and remembered that I have care bags from a few years back.  There were a handful of people that put together various items such as gloves, scarves, hats, toothbrushes, toothpaste, snack items, water bottle, tissues, comb, brush, lotions, etc.  I then pulled up next to her, and told her I had some things she might want.  I didn't see that the bag had gloves, so I have her mine.  Then I saw the gloves and told her I would take mine back and to put the new ones on.  I then wrapped the scarf around her neck.  I asked her if she was warmer.  She said yes.  She thanked me and continued on her journey.  How sad.  But glad I was able to provide these creature comforts to her.

I tried to rescue one last cat for the year on Friday, the yellow tabby on Parsells #2.  He had a home waiting for him after the vet appointment that morning. He's been on the street since birth, but began to trust his caretakers Chuck and Danielle (DeGeorge Ceilings), and myself.  I placed him in the carrier after petting him, and he went crazy.  There was one other time this happened, and it was the sweet little red cat on Grand and Baldwin that hung around with Peanut Butter and Jelly. I got him in a carrier, and when I got him home and opened the door to carrier in my tiny bathroom, he was nearly on the ceiling.  He went crazy. I had to return him.  He disappeared for a while and wound up on Garson, where eventually I had to have him euthanized because he was very sick.  Anyway, this yellow tabby on Parsells -- he went crazy.  I had to let him back out or he would have hurt himself, and I don't know what he would have done at the vet.  He's never been off the street.  Most cats I rescue have had some form of human contact when they were young, and it comes flooding back to them that they are going to be safe.  Not this baby.  Now, he won't come near me when I feed there, but he will.  Poor thing.  If they only knew...

All kittens have been delivered.  Boy do I miss Georgie and Giblet, the two baby kittens I rescued from Garson a month and half ago.  I wound up fostering them before Christmas (thank you Tamera!) and was sad to see them go.  But Georgie joined some adult kitties at his new home, and Eva and Giblet went together to their new home.  I will keep you posted on pics of them, but here is Georgie yesterday on his new dad's lap.



And Giblet and Eva in their new home:


And an update on the kitty from Parsells with the huge open wound, here he is after treatment for the ear mites that he tried to scratch to death -- I think he was my last rescue for 2021:


Sweet baby.  I think my total rescues for 2021 was 83.  Not too shabby for a really rotten year.

Have a great day!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates Janine. It's good to hear from you. Bless you for your kindness to that lady, and prayers that your procedure Thursday will go well. Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete