Friday, January 14, 2022

Spring is in the Air!


Giblet and Eva above enjoying their cozy bed in their new home. 

Winter is upon us, but spring is just ahead.  I am a forever optimist.   We are in the midst of freezing, below freezing rather, and snow, but it doesn’t last long, and the cats out there, mostly, are resilient.   Not so much for the poor baby I found at my Niagara location.  As I walked toward the shelters in the back, I noticed a dead cat laying on the ground.  Frozen.  There are usually three to four cats I’ve fed there on Niagara for years.  This one was the little black and white baby that many mornings I would open the little door that blocks the elements from getting inside the shelter, to find her still in the shelter, all cozy and warm. The other cats run out when I arrive, and wait for the food to be ready for them, and go back into the shelter after I walk away.  I have no idea what happened to this sweetheart.  She could have had an underlying condition and just succumbed, or she could have been poisoned.  I will never know. I wrapped her in a towel and placed her next to the shelter.  I placed a board on top of her to keep the elements away.  I know that sounds silly, she is dead.  But still…  I used to bring dead cats wrapped up to a vet office and place them on a doorstep.  There were times I would wrap them and place them under a bush near where I found them.  I also used to bury them myself.  I certainly won’t throw a cat carcass into the dumpster, or garbage bin.  Just can’t do that.  If it thaws soon, I will move her to under a bush nearby and let her rest and disintegrate there.  Poor baby.

 


Other than that, I am finally sneaking a shelter or two on the first Parsells stop where the very cruel person removed my shelters in the fall from the VACANT CITY OWNED lot next to his rental apartment in the house next door.  Those cats have not seen their first storm, but have experienced the single digits this past week, and I have no idea where they go to stay warm, let alone, alive.  Their picture is above.  I counted five there this morning.  Their long time shelters were destroyed last spring.  So slowly but surely, I am sneaking dark colored shelters under some bushes next door hoping they are not noticed.

Sorry for the Debbie Downer post, but this is my reality lately.  I had a hospital stay last week and am not getting around very well, but many thanks to Kings and Sheryl for now for helping out - I drive, and they do all the work.  Also many thanks to Esther for doing four of my shelter for me every other day.  If only more people could step up and just take even ONE shelter over for me, it would be so much help to me.  Just ask for details.  Its easy!  The bad news is that June sprained her ankle, and the woman I advertised to hire to help came down with Covid and hasn’t been able to help at all.  And I just can’t walk!  Fun fun fun its been!




I have two kittens under my care and many thanks to Sheryl for fostering. They have been a challenge as they were very feral when we got them from a construction site over a month ago.  But they are slowly coming around for her.  Poppy and Lilly.  We are still a bit unsure of the sex, and I haven’t been able to get over there in weeks to really take a look. 

Other than that, its only 65 more days until spring!

Have a great day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment