Monday, May 18, 2020

Spring has Sprung!

Taco's dad's manicure skills
on one of his pet chickens

It was rainy, soggy, and humid when I walked out the door this morning at 3 am.  I am dreading mornings now because I have not been able to do TNR with the clinic being closed.  I am dreading finding kittens.  Actually, Sheryl and I DID find kittens on Saturday morning.  They were in a soggy straw-filled shelter on Ferndale Crescent.  Newborns, all dead.  This stuff gets to Sheryl, but not me so much.  I've hardened my heart sort of - I guess you would call it that.  Sheryl has been doing this for/with me for six years now.  I am so thankful for her.  The one day a week she goes with me she checks the shelters for kittens.  She also changes towels, and does the dirty work basically.  Grateful, totally grateful for her.  Myself, I've been doing this for over 20 years (have I been saying that for at least 5-10 years now?).  I've seen all sorts of things.  I walk away from crying animals that have run to my car each day because they are hungry and miserable and maybe are thinking that I will be their savior and rescue them off the street that day.  Its a very hard thing to have to do.  Walk away.  Just walk away. 

DAKE STREET Kitty

So last week, all four kittens I am fostering have been adopted.  All great wonderful people that will love, care and protect them for life.  Although I prefer kittens to be adopted in pairs, this time I made exceptions because the people adopting them individually are just so nice.  And what a better time really - this Covid thing - because people are home and can really work with and pay attention to the individual kittens.  Ernie and Jake were adopted together, so I am glad of that.  Lulu's new adopter visits her often on my porch, as well as Snowball's new peeps. 

I couldn't be happier.

My friend Kristin has also got herself some new kittens which will be part of my rescue.  She figures they are about 4 weeks old, and are already weaned and using the litter box!  She will be sending pictures to me shortly.   She also has an adult female cat with an injured leg and she will also be available for adoption. Just gotta get those pics!  Kris...  :)


Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment