Tuesday, May 19, 2020

I Am Someone, Not Something!


My Boy...  I miss him so much.💓💓

So I received the following email yesterday.  I always hesitate to open emails that I know are either not an adoption application, or someone I personally know.  So I waited a day.  Sure enough, its someone hoping I will take in their TWO cats.  Its either someone wanting to get rid of their pets, or someone needing help with a large colony of cats that are reproducing like mad, and/or starving.  Those are two things I cannot help with.  If I were cloned, that would be a different story.  If I had shelters, and people that would be willing to take in/foster/adopt these unwanted pets, that would be different.  But I just cant.  What I do is already too much for me.  Does it break my heart?  Yes.



Hi Janine,

I came across your website and wanted to reach out to you.

I have two cats that are brothers, 5 yrs old (one black cat, the other brown/black tabby, indoor cats) and we are trying desperately to find them a home. Within the last couple of years I've become extremely allergic as I already have bad seasonal allergies to begin with. That on top of my wife not working at this time and the food cost (Leo is on a prescription diet) has been tough.  

The brothers Jax and Leo are fantastic cats, they get along great and I've never heard them hiss even once. They like laying around, laying on your lap and playing at night of coarse.

Are you accepting any new cats at this time? I really would love for them to get into a good home together. I'd be willing to make a donation, pay for their food while waiting to be adopted? Really anything, any ideas or help would be great.

Please let me know if i can answer any further questions.

Thank you for your consideration.
Rob

"Hi Robert, I am sorry but I don't take in unwanted cats.  I feed and rescue them right from the streets, the most desperate.  I am sorry for your plight, but I am in the large circle of people that once you bring a cat or a dog into your home, its there for life, no matter what (with the exception of the animal being dangerous).  With that being said, I applaud you for reaching out to see if someone can take them rather than bring to a shelter or worse, leave for them to fend for themselves.  Some people do that.  I would suggest that you either go to your doctor and get some meds for your allergies, there are a ton of people that do that, or get some pictures and personality descriptions to tug at people's hearts and put them on social media, i.e. facebook, etc.  I am sorry if I sound harsh, but with all the homeless animals on the streets, and kittens being born because of neglect of spay/neuter, its pretty sad when someone wants to get rid of their own pet.  Good luck."

That may have sounded harsh to some of you reading that, but ...  that's my opinion.  And you may have yours. 

Have a nice day.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Janine , well said. Me and my 7 cats , there are ways to live with cats when you have allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I am very allergic to both cats and dogs, and yet they live in my house. I take allergy medicine all year around to control my allergies. - it's not perfect but the medicine works well enough that having allergies is not an adequate excuse. I take generic forms of Zyrtec, Flonase, and Azalastine, so the cost is minimal. When we adopt animals, we are responsible for that animal, in the same way that we are responsible for human children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100% Anne! My wife Karon is/was allergic to many of the Cats we have had as part of our family over the years.

      Allergies are not a valid excuse to get rid of your pets in my humble opinion. As far as needing help to feed the Cats I heard some places are holding food pantries for pets due to the current Pandemic.

      Perhaps, Rob could start a Go Fund Me page to help pay for Cat food and over the counter allergy med's.

      You definitely gave sound advice to Rob, Cat Angel and there is no need to apologize as far as I am concerned.

      Rob, please reconsider giving up your 2 boys! and take some Zyrtec to help with your allergies.


      Walt

      Delete