Friday, February 5, 2021

Lucy and Her Six Dwarfs

Its been a very interesting week.  Last Monday I rescued a very pregnant kitty from Grand and Stout on a very chilly (18 degrees) morning at 5 am. all because she ran up to me for food and she was easy...  which is why I named her Lucy.  :)  - well, five days later, she gave birth in the bed we were sleeping in together (well, she was on top of the covers!) - I slept in 'her' room to keep her company until the big event.  I heard a screaming, at 1:30 am., turned on the light and lo and behold, there was something totally gross and disgusting next to her bottom.  A clear sac.  A baby kitten not moving in the sac.  I panicked.  She wasn't doing anything.  I've never witnessed this.  Panic.  Then adrenaline jumped in and I poked a hole in the sac and the kitten started to move, and that's when Mama took over.  Thank GOD.  I left the bloody mess and went to the couch only to hear every twenty minutes, another scream, another baby.  X's five.  Good Lord.  Six babies.  


Today, they are all doing well, Lucy is a great mom, very protective and loving.  She is just the sweetest chill cat mom I've ever seen, although again, I haven't had experience with them much as I send all the moms and babies to fosters.  She was supposed to go to friend Sheryl for the big event and fostering, but it happened too soon to move them to her house.  And I can say that Lucy already has interest by someone for adoption, after the babies are weaned!  In a couple of weeks the babies won't look so alien-like and will be totally adorable!





In the meantime, this past Monday, I rescued another sweet brown tabby because Kristin offered to foster an adult cat that I felt was ready for rescue.  So, I scooped up Sir Jonathan Willoughby Teddy Bear (as Kristin would later name him - eeks) and off he went to Kristin's house.  Not one day passed that he already generated interest from posting on Facebook, and Sir whatever his name is, is now adopted!  



So its been a crazy crazy week.  Work has been really busy and I've been really busy snow shoveling because we got dumped on a few days ago with 8+ inches of snow over two days.  It was not fun.  Many thanks to Esther and June for helping me dig the spots out there.  The cats sure were grateful to be able to move again.

Have a great week, but please, spay and neuter your pets.



1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness Lucy wasn’t scared and took off to another room.

    ReplyDelete